Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been holding onto an 1971 Alfa Romeo GTV for over 10 years now. It's an old dead "barn find" that I originally intended to just get running. The body is not too bad. The interior is in good shape but already customized/modified. The engine is not so good. During it's barn years, mice made a nice cozy home inside that engine. She's complete stuck and much of the SPICA fuel injection components such as the throttle body have been damaged. Really, this car is just a good shell. I love the look of the old GTVs and want to see this car go again. I also have been infected by the Tesla Model S and would really like to have my own custom electric car. So I think I have found a good match-up in a vehicle that will be well suited to being converted.

I have been doing a lot of research on this and have mostly planned out the design and components I need. But, there is still a lot of work to be done and investment to be made.

Has anyone else on this forum attempted a conversion on an Alfa Romeo, particularly classic alfas (pre-80s)? I am looking for inspiration from other projects and I don't see too many electric Alfas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a modern engine
with a hybrid-lite 48V system
like Valeo's Hybrid4All

Valeo makes your car engine hybrid | Electronics EETimes
No a bad idea. However, in my particular case I don't have a good working internal combustion engine to start with. It would require finding a number of missing or bad parts (SPICA rebuild/replacement with Weber carbs or something), then complete engine rebuild. I am thinking that throwing in an electric motor and some batteries will be easier. We will see... best laid plans and all that...

Also worth mentioning that I don't intend to make any actual changes to the car that can't be reversed. Everything is planned to be bolt on.

And Thank you to all you folks for being welcoming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts