Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i'm New here, as you may guess, I have recently had my first Alfa (a 156 TS) writen off, and so i am trying to decide whether to take the plunge and get a 166 2.5 Sportronic....

can anyone tell me things i should look out for and whether it is a good idea....

for a W reg what would acceptable milage be?

also where could i pick up a GSM card for the telephony kit?

cheers

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
buy the 3 litre instead:D ive had mine a year and am still loving every minute of it, the extra 30bhp is worth it, get one with the grey leather rather than black as it looks much better and keeps the interior looking light and bright, dont bother with satnav as its rubbish, look for lots of service history and dont pay too much, oh and accept that it wont be worth much when you sell it on in a couple of years, happy hunting(there are plenty on autotrader) and have fun, you wont regret it:D

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers, i have narrowed it down to one with 73k on the clock... from an independant, seems a little pricey at 4k.... should i be worried about high miles?

3.0: i'd love to but i'm only just getting away with 2.5!! ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
HI,I bought a 2.5 v6 just before Xmas,6spd.manual on an 02 plate
for £3100,have spent another £1100,bringing it up to top notch
condition,so £4k. seems a bit strong for a Wreg, to be honest I
am not keen on the autos,they sap power and use a lot more petrol,
in fact a 2.5 manual is just as quick as a 3.0 sportronic,and not bad
on petrol,I get 28mpg on a run which compares to 29mpg with my
t/spark,my personal choice would be a 2002on (6pd .manual),
lusso with leather etc.,as to the subject of high mileage I think
a good service history is the main criteria,regular oil changes,
absolutely essential to make sure that the cambelt,tensioner,idlers
and water pump have been changed if mileage is over 60k.,plenty
of privately owned cars for sale as well as trade,have a good look
around,they are a fantastic secondhand buy if you get a good one!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Some reviewers have flamed the 166 autos for not keeping the car within the quite narrow powerband of the V6 at wide open throttle, so that the car never gets the best out of the engine. Manual box will allow you to access the top end power when you need it - low end power on the 2.5 V6 is not great. If you have decided for sure you can't afford the 3.0 then so be it, but if you could, it is considered better than the extra 500cc suggests.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Much the same advice as Vivian from me - I bought my 03 Plate 3.0 6spd manual last August for £4100 and spent a further £1000 bringing it upto my standard. Mine was just over 3 years old when bought with 85k miles but had 7 service stamps including the all important belt and tensioner change.

I would say that Vivian and myself have both got good deals but obviously our cars required some work. Don't rush, take your time - I looked for a good while before mine came up. To be honest I almost got a sportronic (Had to be 3.0 for me) as they are more common than the manual but glad that I held out for a manual. Sportronic is down around 1 second on the 0-62mph dash and down around 1mpg.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i bit the bullet, i took it for a drive last night and it is lovelly, so i managed to beat him down to 3.5K + warranty which includes all the vital parts ie cambelt and water pump. I do know what you mean about slight lack of power, but this one seemed good in the non auto bit....
i am well chuffed with it i pick it up on saturday and no word of a lie dreamt about it all last night...my previous alfie will be gutted! where ever he is looking down from...

thanks guys for the tips, they really helped :)

one last one,the car has the telephony kit, anyone know where i can pick up the GSM card thing that holds the sim card?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what i was thinking, and this will sound strange the car didn;t seem as big as i thought it would be, just felt so smooth to drive and sounded lovelly!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WEll i have picvked it up, and am well chuffed, it is supreeeeeeme! (as i knew it would be!)

one question...i have never had Xenon lights before, if they are quite dim does that mean they are on their way out? (if so how much are they :s )

cheers :)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Are you sure it has xenon lights - They were on Lusso models, or a VERY expensive option. Some assume that all 166's have xenons as even the standard lights look different due to the solid ball shaped inner light. If your beam is poor, I would suggest that you have the standard lights.

A photo showing mine, standard lights -

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
Dougie166 said:
Are you sure it has xenon lights - They were on Lusso models, or a VERY expensive option. Some assume that all 166's have xenons as even the standard lights look different due to the solid ball shaped inner light. If your beam is poor, I would suggest that you have the standard lights.

Smashing looking car dougie..a credit to you.

Pigfarmer re your sim holder I assume you mean one about the size of a credit card ....if so try search for PAYG sim card on google or ebay...They are really cheap now even for most of the networks..Some are only a couple of pounds delivered.

Pomeo

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Cheers Pomeo, but that was just after I bought it, before I had it tidied up - If you look closely you will see the smashed foglight, smashed headlamp and stone chipped front end.

I had new lamps installed and a full front end respay and then put the personal plate on looks so much better now!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dougie166 said:

Yeah mine is a Lusso... it looks good, and BLueish but do i take it in for a look at? i have todrive with my front fog lights on to see....

nice car btw

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Worth getting checked - Xenons are apparantley very good, should be no need for foggies. Alignment of the lights can sometimes be an issue though - Do a search on previous threads on this topic.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
on further investigation - it would appear that adjusting the hieght of the light inside tyhe car makes no difference outside - is there a manual setting?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.