Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just after some advice and suggestions. :)
At present I have a Mazda 3 MPS, and although it is very fast, it drinks fuel and is soulless. I've always loved the look of Alfa's, so now I'm after advice on which model to go for and what to look out for on a used car?

I'm interested in either the 159 or GT diesel? Can only really push £12k, but I want a 2-4yr old with good spec and quick/ economical diesel.

I don't think I can afford these specs on my budget but I've looked into it and think either a 159 2.0JTDM 16v TI, or GT 1.9JTDM Cloverleaf 170? :lol:

Any tips for my Alfa shopping spree?

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
Hello fella and welcome to AO :D

personnally out of the two... i'd go down the GT route.... the 159 with that engine size will need to be pushed abit I reckon :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
159 or GT

Hello fella and welcome to AO :D

personnally out of the two... i'd go down the GT route.... the 159 with that engine size will need to be pushed abit I reckon :)
Cheers for the welcome! :D
And not that your bias about the GT, lol!:lol:

I was under the impression that the GT and 159 are around the same size/ weight? The 2.0lt 159 is under 9second which isn't bad for a diesel, although it's not 6seconds like the Mazda. :p
I'm hopefully going to try both the GT and 159 tomorrow, any thing I need to look for?

·
Registered
22,305 Posts
Hello and Welcome:wave:
I would go for the 159 but i would say that:lol:
Both are great cars give them a test drive :thumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
159!!

Hi all again, I need to say things without offending people. I have driven both the 1.9JTDM GT and the 2.4JTDM 159, and I have to say they felt worlds apart! I first tried the GT, and the first thing I didn't like was the clutch which had a weird operation/ feel. Secondly the gear level felt WAY too light, and although I know it's a diesel the engine didn't sound amazing! On a good note, I have to say I still love the look of it! I got back feeling a little down as I thought Alfa's were about passion, and maybe something was wrong with me?:confused:

Then the kind dealer let me take the 159 for a spin. :D Grin is put back on my face, interior is better, bigger engine pulls better (obviously), but more importantly the sound for a diesel is amazing!:D:thumbs: As you know I'm coming from a 2.3t 260bhp car, so all will seem a little slower, but the toque is as good and the refinement is very nice!

So now I need to keep an eye out for a good deal, in Lusso or TI, and it has to be Black (meaner lookin').

Cheers all for the welcome so far, and I hope I haven't offended any GT owners, maybe I was just in a friday car?;)

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Welcome to AO.

I'd say the 159Ti also....but I would. I was looking at both the Cloverleaf GT and 159Ti when buying new in Sept 08 and although I did like the GT a lot you can easily tell it is based on a previous generation. Even the most loyal owners would admit build quality is inferior to 159.

I've been very happy with my Ti. The 1.9 diesel goes well enough once spooled up, handles well but would certainly recommend getting it mapped by Gus if you go that route and can afford the extra cost.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Yeah if you get the GT remapped you would get a grin from the 1.9.

I'd get a 2.4 ti and a remap - that's my long plan.

Also the 159 is a newer format

GT is wat about 7 years old now???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What increase do you get on 1.9 and 2.4JTDM remaps, and does economy improve at all? Finally has anyone had experience of the new 2.0 diesel, as performance and economy is better?

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO, hope you find your dream car......:HAPPY:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
welcome to AO, good luck with the hunt....it's worth waiting for the right one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys for the nice welcome! :)
I'm not looking to change the car until mid to late this year so I can wait.

Any tips on what to look out for before buying a used 159?
Most likely the 2.4, but is it really less then 35mpg around town?
And any good indie places in the Northwest, as I've heard the servicing is pricey at the Main Dealers?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to AO!

Gus is your man for servicing - Alfatune in St Helens, just read the many hundreds of threads on here singing his praises!

Also to answer an earlier question of yours - with a remap (also from Alfatune) you would be looking at around 250bhp from the 2.4 unit and (I think) 200bhp from the 1.9. Considering the relatively low cost, that's a hell of a lot of power to gain!

Good luck finding your new car - bet you can't wait 'till the end of the year now you've started thinking about Alfa's though!

Good luck & welcome!

:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Mate .... I've a GT diesel ... in fact it may have been the 'Friday Car' you drove :).

Build quality was terrible & the first six months of ownership (bought new in 08) was hell .... all that said - it looks & drives excellently now after all the initial grief. The point is it's a Blackline special edition & if you've around £12k you should be able to pick up a 2yr old blackline diesel GT for that. If it was dodgy Alfa build to start with, after 2 yrs some other poor unfortunate like me as already put it all right. This is tremendous value & a hell of a lot of car for the money (given the leather trim levels & 18 in alloys & the like). A truly beautiful motor for £12k. Heard good stuff about the 159 ... just depends if you want to be more exclusive with GT I guess :).

Only wish I would have waited & bought mine second hand & let someone else take the depreciation hit .. but hey ho. Enjoy the forum ... .these guys are really ace. Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts