Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm James - thought it was about time i said 'hi'. I've been reading the forums for a while now, it's a great source of info, cheers!

I've owned my 2001 156 1.6 since September 2005, when it had 36k on the clock. I was after a car to commute 20k miles per year in. I knew the Alfa wasn’t the most obvious nor economical choice, but I wanted one regardless! So I settled for the poverty-spec 1.6 engine. Fortunately it’s has SP2 so it’s pretty good-looking! Plus, I’m 22 so insurers want to rip me off. And petrol costs! It's done 64K miles now.

There’s a 147 2.0 in the family too, with a variator that’s just starting to wear, lol. Alfa’s - you’ve gotta love their quirky design ‘features’.

I’ve done a few things to the 156…

K&N replacement filter
Custom cat-back exhaust (sounds tasteful, lol)
Front upper strut brace (this has made a HUGE difference at roundabouts)
Decent tyres!
It's good for 135mph (216kph), as confirmed by a satnav device.

There’s a Pipercross Viper on order, which should arrive tomorrow…
And the front brakes need replacing – check out www.3gbrakes.co.uk. These guys sell Brembo ‘blanks’ – direct replacement brake discs for your car for approx £120 (you’ll need to email them for a quote). Quality.

:)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome James !! :)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Hi, welcome to AO :)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Hi and welcome James. Great name BTW;) . Glad you finally took the plunge and joined us.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Hi James, welcome to AO :)

It's great to share tips on where to find good parts/etc but just so that you know, AO doesn't condone advertising unless you speak to one of the Admins (alfaowner, selespeed or MrJeff).

Just, fyi :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the big welcome people!

And thanks for the tip Bigfoot :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts