Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I bought a 2000 156 2.0 twinspark as a non-runner, but I want to figure out whats wrong with it before I spend a fortune on parts that I dont need. does anyone have any ideas from listening to a recording.

Here is the link

zSHARE - Voice001.mp3

·
Registered
185 Posts
It sounds like a rebuild is needed, if it is big ends then running it is making it worse although I think it has gone beyond help now!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really hope not. I had a guy i know do a diagnostics on it, there were 4 faults found. the immobaliser, the conditioner, the rpm sensor and knocking sensor 1. I assume the problems were repaired by the previous owner but not cleared because they didn't come back after we cleared them. anyway i'm gettin off track. the guy who did the dignostic thought it may be the variator but it seems a bit to load for that

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Failed big ends can sound like the noise is coming from the top of the engine as the pistons slap against the head.

Easy enough to check... either look for metallic particles in the oil, or remove the sump and have look.

·
Registered
38,886 Posts
That does sound pretty terminal IMO.

I would put money on it having been run low on oil recently and the noise being from the big ends.

Aftre running the engine, pull out the disptick and allow the oil to run down the inside of a glass.

Hold it up to the light and see if you can see any metal in the oil (as sugested by Iainfm)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope it not a rebuild job but i suppose i cant really know untill i open it up and take a look. I was hoping it was just the variator, but i may not be that lucky

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yep . Definitely sounds like bottom end and I speak from experience. My 156 was making the same sound and I also thought (hoped) it was variator / top end noise. After finding a few other threads on here, it was obvious it was the big end /little end / main bearings. A crank regrind and new bearings etc later it's all good.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
bottom end bearings

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anbody got a rough idea how much it cost to get a crank regrind on a 156 ts.prob gonna use the local garage as I've heard he knows his way around Alfas

S

·
0 Posts
Hey, I bought a 2000 156 2.0 twinspark as a non-runner, but I want to figure out whats wrong with it before I spend a fortune on parts that I dont need. does anyone have any ideas from listening to a recording.

Here is the link

zSHARE - Voice001.mp3
This link tried to install adware on my pc. Thankfully my antivirus got it

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Report it :thumbs: & check the dates of OP's :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts