Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning all,

My 2011 Giulietta QV seems to 'hesitate' under acceleration. The problem occurs in Dynamic Mode, and seems to be most noticeable between around 2500 and 3500 rpm. I'm not accelerating heavily, so I don't think it would be the traction control cutting in. I've also noticed that, if I hold the car at around 2500 - 3500rpm, it judders slightly as if it wants to go, then backs off, then wants to go again.It's particularly noticeable if I'm pulling away from a roundabout or junction, or pulling off a slip road and accelerating onto a dual carriageway / motorway. The issue seems to present itself more in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. If it was present in 1st or 2nd I'd have put it down to traction control!

It's only recently been serviced by NJS in Pershore, and there were no errors flagged up.

I don't know whether the issue replicates itself in Normal or All-Weather mode as I rarely use them.

If anyone could shed any light on what might be causing the hesitation, and whether or not this is normal, I'd appreciate it. Thanks :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Spark plugs is the next place to look if maf clean doesnt do it....mine needed replacing before schedule depends how you drive it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I've decided to book her in with NJS in Pershore for them to take a look at. She also needs 2 x rear tyres at some point in the not-too-distant future so I may as well have the whole lot done while I've still got some of my wages left! :lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the car out just now. The problem is DEFINITELY worse when the engine is cold! The poor car was shaking like a shi**ing dog when I pulled away from a roundabout!

There's no loss of power though... Just a temporary hesitation in putting it down.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is sounds like a broken MAF sensor. It doesn’t trigger an error code until it gets really bad.
Are you using a standard air-filter?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies :)

The problem actually went away, so I decided I'd cancel my booking with NJS as I thought it may have just been contaminant in the fuel.

Unfortunately, it's back now and was particularly noticeable this morning with the colder temperature.

As a few of you have said, it sounds like there's an issue with the MAF sensor, which is what I'll check first. Are they easy to clean or replace at home? I'm fairly mechanically-minded, although I admit that the majority of my experience comes from building mountain bikes and not fixing cars!

For reference, I'm using a BMC 'lifetime' air filter which is part of a kit fitted by Veloces for the previous owner.

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
The problem with aftermarket filters is that (although controversial) they may not be as good at filtering particles as they claim, as well as the oil component. You got to ask yourself one question, did the PO use 6 drops of oil or only 5? The oil being a factor in messing up the MAF (Even if K&N says it doesn't) you gotta ask yourself, do I feel lucky?

Joking aside: From all I've read about aftermarket air filters the best case scenario is that you save a couple of quid after a few years and it sounds "good" (if you like that sound). Worst case scenario is more dirt in the engine, bad MAF performance from using too much oil after cleaning the filter as well as worse low end power.

Although I have no proof or study, I don't like to tempt fate with the MultiAir unit neither. So I'm replacing the PO's K&N filter with OEM.

Also, if you clean the MAF, be sure you use only the correct cleaner as well as be VERY gentle. Obviously, the best way is to do some proper diagnostics first, but that can be a problem without the right bit of kit.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not long since you bought the car?
Ask if the seller can return it to original.
I've had the car since November. The previous owner had owned it for about 18 months, and the original filter was replaced with the BMC unit by Veloces when they remapped the car and put their 'Ascari' tuning package on it (whatever that entails :lol: )

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turned out to be a slight oil leak into the spark plugs.. MAF sensor was fine.

All sorted now :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
So it was the head gasket..?

I’m also using a BMC air filter, but I’m planning on switching back to the standard filter. I’m suspecting that the filter is leading my MAF-sensor to malfunction.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it was the head gasket..?

I’m also using a BMC air filter, but I’m planning on switching back to the standard filter. I’m suspecting that the filter is leading my MAF-sensor to mailfunction.
Yep. I've had it resealed for now as I couldn't afford to have it replaced. If and when the problem happens again I'll take it back to have it replaced.

There was nothing wrong with the MAF sensor or filter which is good

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out of interest, how permanent is a head gasket reseal generally?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would give maf a clean anyway as i also have a bmc filter and they do contaminate the maf as i have cleaned my filter and maf myself as the filter is very oily.. just pop clips off maf housing and spray inside tube with brake cleaner.allow 20 mins to dry and you will notice car runs much better even if you think it is okay now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would give maf a clean anyway as i also have a bmc filter and they do contaminate the maf as i have cleaned my filter and maf myself as the filter is very oily.. just pop clips off maf housing and spray inside tube with brake cleaner.allow 20 mins to dry and you will notice car runs much better even if you think it is okay now.
Where is the MAF sensor located? I've got some isopropyl brake cleaner (for a mountain bike but exactly the same stuff), so might give it a go.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found the MAF sensor, whipped it out, sprayed it with brake cleaner. Job done

1 - 20 of 33 Posts