Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Giulia Speciale diesel 18 months now and for many months noticed there is hesitation issue in that the car doesn't move straight away when at a roundabout for example. Once was at roundabout put my foot on accelerator and nothing happened! I now don't go on a roundabout if theres a gap in fear of a) it won't move or b) if it will move its after a split second delay meaning I'll pull out very close to car already on a roundabout.

Been to dealers a couple of times, they found nothing wrong with it. It's had all the recent updates.

I have driven an identical Giulia at the dealers same age, year and mileage now that doesn't have a hesitation issue it moves straight away without a split second delay.
The only difference between the 2 cars is mine came with the Pirelli Cintuarto tyres and the other Giulia is on the smoother (and much better in my opinion) Good Year F1 tyre far better performing tyre, but surely that will just give a better faster ride not tell the engine to wait before moving off.

Other issue I've had is the parking brake doesn't disengage when you're ready to move away. It happened a few times when leaving from home but recently happened in traffic my giulia just wouldn't drive away when the signal turned green. I was stuck there for 2 mins! Then it finally disengaged.

Has this happened to any other Giulia owners?

Any thoughts on above.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I’ve not had real hesitation issues, just half a second or so whilst gearbox decides to engage. Can’t see the tyres having any bearing on it, mine Are the Goodyear’s.

The parking brake seems a bit odd, it doesn’t always automatically disengage, though will always do when pressed. I think there is some sort of algorithm that controls the auto release depending on the time between starting the engine and engaging drive.

I don’t think either th8ngs are faults, just features.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,
not a Veloce but a Tecnica and done 0ver 13k in 3 months and the parking brake has never 'stuck' in all that time? and always engage park when sat in traffic??

obviously a dirty diesel but have never had any hesitation issues either , far from it infact !!

if the comparison car was completely different then id go back to your dealer and get them to look again ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Might be a silly question but are you definitely not left foot braking? I think a few people have discovered that if the car detects pressure on both the accelerator and brake at the same time then the power gets cut which could explain the hesitation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
not a Veloce but a Tecnica and done 0ver 13k in 3 months and the parking brake has never 'stuck' in all that time? and always engage park when sat in traffic??

obviously a dirty diesel but have never had any hesitation issues either , far from it infact !!

if the comparison car was completely different then id go back to your dealer and get them to look again ...
I have been back to the dealer where i had an identical demo Giulia diesel loan car that was fine, in that it just moved off the mark. It came with Good Year F1 tyres rather than my noisy Pirelli cinturatos, that I dislike. I know the tyres don't cause the hesitation.

Does the hesitation occur in D, N and A? And it is not the stop-start kicking in?
Good question, the hesitation is less noticeable in D. D for me is like someone released the handbrake and the car can just go fast enough. I know its dynamic mode and meant to be quick and sporty but the other modes in my car shouldn't have that delay to push off.

horsepower27 - definitely not left braking -even though this is my first automatic and diesel always had manual cars.

Since this post the parking brake got stuck again at busy junction, normally when it occurs sometimes its only when I leave home so it didn't bother me that much but now that its happened in traffic am going to get it looked into.

Think there are electrical glitches in the car as have had the infotainment screen go completely blank/black..dead then after few seconds comes back on. Last time it was in at dealers had a new Seat Leon FR previously used to own Seat Leon FR in-between my Alfas to drive and the infotainment screen and interface was so clear, easy to use.. Alfa's beautifully curved infotainment interface needs improvement but I can live with that as long as it doesn't blank out!

Thanks for replies, only got alert today as being a new member don't think my new post got approved straight away, so I thought perhaps it wasn't posted.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Had the same issue with my Giulia - dealer said it was corrosion! The brake would not disengage. They cleaned it up but it's happened again so not happy at all.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just a thought, what about the DPF or EGR valve? I assume modern Giulia's have them. I used to own a Saab 9-3 TTID a few years ago which had a FIAT engine and had the EGR blocked because of limp mode. I had a remap to remove the EGR... Otherwise, try getting the engine really really hot on a spirited drive to see if the DPF regen's? Like I said just a thought...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts