Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2.0 16v 1996, and it is starting to act weird. It all started with that when i (tried)
to accelarate hard it kind of stalling with low rews (2000-3000rpm) after that it accelerate again.( No injectionlight).
But now i the morning when i starts the engine,
it wont rew up for a little while. If i floor the
pedal, it dies out,and shoot in the exhaust.
(Still no injectionlight).And after 15 sec. it's
back to normal, But still Stalling a little when
i accelerate.
Then one day my wife calls me at work....
The car starts, but it stalling and she couldn't
drive anywere. The waited for a while, and then she could drive home. (This time the injectionligt
was on, and it stayed on)
Then i tried to clean coolant temperature sensor
connector, and the lamp went off...yees..but
it was still stalling under acceleration and backfire sometimes in the morning..
The plugs and fuelfilter is brand new...

help help...anyone??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds like the good old oxygen (lambda) sensor. My 1.8 did this after about a month of ownership. Revving its head of and then stalling, all erratic running, no power etc.

Its dangerous!!!

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my own experience I know that a faulty lambda probe does not always bring on the injection warning light.
My engine never died or backfired though, but sometimes had severe hesitation and power loss.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
It really does sound like the lambda. if not then possible you still have a bad plug or lead where the spark is failing under pressure. lambda is the most likely though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See also the post about Routine/Preventative maintenance: Someone mentioned there about leaking tappet cover gaskets, where oil can get into the spark plug wells and cause short circuits between the plugs. And of course if you wash your engine, the water tends to get into the wells, but take a long time to evaporate out again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm getting a simliar problem on my 95' 2.0TS 16V. The engine is not cutting out, but has a flat spot between 2000-3000 revs - no warning lights are on. It seems OK above 4000rpm.

Could this be the oxygen sensor as well?

Regards

Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had four sensors on my previous twinspark.

First one was the scariest, it stalled or revved all on its own and lost all power. Comletely undriveable. The 2nd and 3rd where not as bad but suffered from severe hesitation and loss of power, the last one was changed as soon as I felt the first few hesitations just in case. The last one has been the best and it is still running fine now and is the only one not bought from the dealer!!!

Don't remember if the injector light came on but the sensor is the usual cause of such problems and seems to be a weakness of these cars. they are supposed to last about 60k miles but none of mine have seen that much. First went before 10k!

Might be worth going to a friendly garage and getting them to do an emissions test to check it if you're not sure of the cause.

wrinx

·
Registered
715 Posts
Another possibility could be a blocked fuel filter. This is just in front of the tank under a plastic guard on the off side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there anyone, who the value of the sensors
(coolant sensor,temp sensor,lamda and so on)
in ohms.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
hope this is of some use

Coolant temp Intake air

-10 degC 8100to 10770 ohms Same
+20 degC 2280 to 2720 same
+80 degC 292 to 362 same

RPM sensor 486 to 594 at 20 degC

Lamda heating resisance 3 ohms

Throttle position
pin 1& 2 2000 ohms
pin 1&3 throttle closed 1000
pin 1&3 throttle open full 2700

Idle speed actuator

pin 1&3 33 ohm
pin 1&2 17.5
pin 2&3 15.5

These are for the motronic M2.10.3 & 4 eek!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just another idea for this kind of problem:

i heard about timinig belts that jump one or a few teeth under some condition. This can cause misfire, powerloss etc...
Maybe you should also consider this.

Let's race! Spike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Problem finally solved.
i replaced the coolant temp sensor, and now
my alfa is like a a new car..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Didnt think the temp sensor would cause so much trouble................still gotta replace mine eek!

wrinx

·
Registered
69 Posts
is there a way to actually know that ur coolant temp sensor is faulty? i do hv similar hesitation, lack of power as posted above. did change the lambda but the problems still persist.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is gonna sound daft but, my car was hesitating etc. Cure ???? I checked the spark plug gaps, they were miles out (too big). Readjusted them to 0.7mm (which it is for my 8 valve) and Hey Presto, the car has no flat spots anymore.

Also had a problem with what seemed to be the engine cutting out when accelarating etc. That was down to faulty HT leads making a bad connection at the coil.

Hope you find this usefull

Marlon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts