Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

Bought a new 1.4 G 6 weeks ago and have covered 3,000kms and it has been brilliant thus far - but it left me stranded last night!! Anyway, Alfa Assist roadside guy rocked up and could offer no help, neither could Sydney HQ as 'they've never had a G break down before' so it seems I hold the record for the first ever Oz broken down G!! Not ideal...

Anyway, just seeing if anyone else has had this/can shed any light on this incident as I got away with it by luck/timing more than judgement and it could so easliy have been a lot worse with a wife and young daughter in the car....

We'd been driving for 70-odd kms without a hitch at 10.30pm on the motorway when without warning, I lost all engine power. The revs dropped to 0 and I was basically reduced to coasting.

I had a barrage of warning messages come up on the dashboard one after the other - 'fuel cut off unavailable', 'VDC unavailable', 'steering correction unavailable' and so on - seemingly every talent the car had was 'unavailable'!! I still had all lights, radio, windows etc etc so the problem wasn't a battery one (and subsequent testing showed it to be 100%)

Luckily there was next to no traffic so I coasted down a slip road and off the motorway and stopped. Hazards on I tried to shut off and restart but nothing - completely dead from a turning over perspective but still had all electrics. Every time I tried to restart I just got the warning messages one after the other so it was to no avail.

Luckily some helpful other motorists pushed me into a layby to await help. The roadside guy had none of the new error codes for the ECU and Sydney HQ also didn't have them apparently so there was no method of diagnosing the problem so it was towed away head hung in shame!

My question is obviously has anyone heard/had anything like this happen before and does anyone have any thoughts as to the cause?

Being a brand-new car I'm loathed to just let Alfa hit the 'reset' button as clearly something made it do this and what's to stop it happening again only this time with a huge truck behind me and nowhere for it or me to go??? The consequences for all 3 of us could have been horrific last night and I definitely do not want a repeat of this....

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooh now don't be saying things like that!! That could be grim and terminal on a brand new car and something that would need careful negotiating over with Alfa I guess. Not sure on the Oz rights to 'demand a refund/new car' but that's the route I'd be going down if this was the case...

Anyway, I shall update the post with the info as and when I get it all tomorrow. Wish me luck!

G

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
PS, the laws there are very progressive and consumer biased, we just opened a jewellery wholesaler in Aus so I had a look at the return and refund policies and they are very good, especially if the product is "unfit for purpose" or fails prematurely. Alfa here claims a 120000km interval on cambelt changes, so if it is that, then yours is definitely premature, and the fact that the car won't move makes it unfit for purpose, so I don't forsee too many issues with winning the fight, but it's still a lot of drama to go through.

Still, it'll hopefully be something small and easy to fix!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Fuel cut off inertia switch activated? Fuel in the tank?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys - thanks for the replies
Squadrone Rosso -over half a tank of fuel in the tank and one of the (many!) warning messages I got was 'Fuel cut off switch unavailable' so I was confident it wasn't a fuel supply problem.

Anyway, from Alfa just now on the phone, apparently a wire somehow came adrift from it’s housing inside the actual engine bay and came to rest on the air conditioning compressor. Over time, the wire has obviously got hot, melted and caused a fuse to blow that led to the complete shut down we experienced on Friday night.

Apparently never seen/heard of before so they’ve taken a bunch of pics to send to Alfa in case there is need for a recall to put this right etc....

******** or not, apparently they’re happy they’ve sorted it and we’ll be getting the car back serviced and ready to go later today.

Fingers crossed.....
G

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK the official wording on the invoice is 'Blown ECU power fuse - confirmed complaint and found fuse blown due to harness rubbing on engine. Replaced fuse and repaired and insulated harness and relocated. Tested OK'

So there we have it folks. Car is back, wahsed and vacuumed inside and looking schmicko once more. If it comes up again I shall let you all know ;D

Cheers

G

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got it sorted quick and it wasn't as catastrophic as a snapped cam belt.

I don't suppose they showed you which wire / where it was?
If they did, could you post a pic on here of where it happened so a can check mine is ok.
No problems at present but prevention is better than cure.

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi folks

Well 2 solid days of driving since the work and all seems to be going well so that's cool. Actually had a call from Alfa Customer Services today about it which was a pleasant thing - not actually chasing them!! Anyway, I have asked for the pics to be emailed to me and if they are then I shall post accordingly but I'm not especially confident I'll get them - from past experience they aren't especially forthcoming or helpful at Brisbane Alfa but we shall see...

Thanks for all the replies though folks - most appreciated!

Cheers

G

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Gary,

Good to hear that Alfa sorted out the problem.

Which part of Brisvegas do you live? I've had a red Giulietta follow me on the Centenary highway once and I think I saw one parked on Fig Tree Pocket Rd.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi there fellow Brisvegian (is that a word??)

I'm at Mt.Crosby - what about you??

I drive through Fig Tree Pocket/Centenary daily to work....but I have a grey Brera. The wife's G is black and she commutes from Mt.Crosby to work so does the Centenary to Milton Road I believe.

I'm one of those Alfisti who always flashes at other Alfa's so if I saw you you'd definitely have got a flash and a big wave!!

Gotta say the guys at Brisbane were really good as were Alfa Assist - couldn't have been more helpful really - and I even got a call from Alfa Customer Care too! Very unusual but I'm not complaining!!

Cheers

G

Hi Gary,

Good to hear that Alfa sorted out the problem.

Which part of Brisvegas do you live? I've had a red Giulietta follow me on the Centenary highway once and I think I saw one parked on Fig Tree Pocket Rd.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi there fellow Brisvegian (is that a word??)

I'm at Mt.Crosby - what about you??
I'm at Kenmore. My wife drives the red GQV to work at Toowong each day but she goes early before Moggill Road turns into a carpark. I've got a white Landcruiser ute and work at Pullenvale (QCAT) so I go against the flow of peak hour traffic on Moggill Road. I've probably passed you numerous times. I'll keep an eye out for you from now on.

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How bizarre - discovering each other and communicating via an English website when we're 15mins apart!! That's gold!! My wife thinks she might have seen the reg GQV before - she has been known to leave early to avoid the Moggill Road car park - but she's not as, shall we say 'concerned' re-the Alfa spotting as I am. Having said that, getting her into any car that wasn't an Alfa was an impossible task hence the G now!
If I see a white Landcruiser Ute flashing at me then I'll now know who it is - and I shall brief the missus too!
Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just followed a Black Giulietta rego MYA *** (I think!) to Indooroopilly shopping centre this morning. Wondering if that was you?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed it was - and we were in the car wondering to each other whether the red one was you!!! How weird! You were about 10 cars in front of us initially but I was a bit saucy and nipped up the inside to check but couldn't really get level to catch your eye or acknowledge you! You'll know it's us (or normally my wife) due to the rego of MYA 00...in purple! My daugher's name and her favourite colour hence....:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just thinking - our Brit counterparts are probably wondering what the fuss is all about at seeing another G ....but then I guess they are far more plentiful over there. Please excuse our excitement at seeing another as a G/GQV with some goodies can top $50,000 you can see why they are so rare here!!! That applies to other Alfa's too - my wife's previous GT had a RRP of almost $90,000 when new so maybe that'll help explain our reaction!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts