Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My partner in crime is slow to react and he must forgive my opinions.

Hennies car is not a racer, but an everyday streetcar. It is a TN style, high compression(10.6:1), low boost application running normal 95 octane fuel. This means no screwing with boost "just to see" is allowed. One run could grenade the engine, even if the power would surprise everybody.

Hennie did the fabrication himself and like I said before, everything fits in it place as if planned by ten factory engineers. If he fit a dummy aircleaner over the induction pipe end, nobody will even suspect a turbo underneath. Turbo is from Garret's T35 series and will not run out of boost even at a bar boost. For a crazy car everything would be the same, bar low compression and turbolag up to 3000 rpm, which do not exist on Hennie's GTV.

40/45mm external wastegate is used, dumping outside. Exhaust is 76mm as needed by 300+ horsepower from any turbo engine. Sorry Lance, no dumpvalve is used, as it will screw up the std management, so no crazy sound track through the gears(high boost will need one)
Standard GTV series 3 management, which is more advanced than the S1 and S2 versions. Hennie wired in a Gotech Mini(not my choice but he had it on the rack) to manage the additional fuel under boost, supplied by 1000cc additional injectors. Walbo fuelpump is used from the standard position in the tank(a bi*ch to fit), with adjustable, constant fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pressure stays prefect through out the runs on the dyno.

The tuning was done at MRD and dyno development is always like having your first baby. Lots of stress and wild expectations. It is worse if you have seen an engine go up in smoke on a dyno before, so Hennie was a bit sweaty. Like on all high compression engines, the performance exceed the calculations, which were developed years ago on low compression engines, before electronics, knock sensors and high octane fuel.

The chances are always there with 2nd hand cars, that some marginal part, that still worked before a modification can pack up there after, BUT YOU COULD ALWAYS BLAME THE TUNER. Like on any modified car it is could be difficult to fault-find problems due to additional complexity. That could mean expensive part swopping to locate the problem. On Hennie’s low milage car, one Lambda sensor just gave up the ghost coming from the dyno. Maybe it didn’t like the new temperatures in the exhaust, or my guess is it was on it way out and on the dyno already didn’t work as it should. That would explain the power difference between the MRD and FR+R dynos. At the later power run, the new lambda worked as it should and pulled back the timing more curbing more hp than before.

The GTV is as smooth as silk, but when you let it go it feels like a BIG motor and trust me it is quick. Being a hooligan do not really work, as the traction control simply sort everything out. And after a drive in the car you ask yourself, why not more? I didn't like the traction control before, but compared with my 200hp car this is so sweet. For the clutch I reserve judgement, we will have to see when it let go and then replace it with a button clutch with springs. Now Hennie knows how, he may just be willing to do it again.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Damn, thanks for the write up Corrie...We expected 300bhp and 450Nm fromt eh GQV witht he WMI kit fitted and tuned(little bit more boost and hella timing) so me and Hennie could have went for runs, Old 300bhp vs new 300bhp...but by the sound of things his GTV just pulls and pulls and don't run out of steam.

Reading things like this makes me regret returning the WMI kit, I'd really wanted to see what a GQV can do with another hardware mod...but I was fed up with the whole tuning thing and also the fearmongers got to me.

But its not about me...If this car is a streetcar I'd suggest Hennie hang around FR&R dyno nights and pick a fight with a windgat Golf...and then teach them that AR's are not to be messed with, I read on the dyno thread discussion about the "ALFA's" that were there lol...so they are already talking!

We were at DragWars 2013 and the amount of Golf's really spoilt the racing for me...every young kid on the street thinks that a hot hatch is the be all and end all, then a turbo GTV comes along and shows up the K04 powered Golfies...

Well done Hennie, Corrie and of Course the Tuner who will be blamed when it goes pop lol:D

If the car will be at the trackday please take videos guys!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Thanks, Corrie. I am really impressed with what you guys up north are doing. The newer Alfa modding scene down here is limited so it really is nice to see what can be done. I like the idea of things being kept conservative so one has an everyday car.

Has fuel consumption improved or not and are temperatures stable?

·
Registered
365 Posts
thanks Corrie, I don't like the writing thing

I wouldn't mind a big boost car like I had on my UT but the gtv certainly gives a rush like few others.

IMAG0316.jpg

New intake - notice additional fueling

IMAG0320.jpg

Big cooler fits the Ph3 with very little cutting

IMAG0344.jpg

Dyno shenanigans - Corrie standing on the nose to get some more traction

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Nice write-up Corrie.:thumbs:

The tuner can be a monkey with the setup, I know since I basically mapped my own car and it is still running.:D
All honour as far as management is concerned should go to the good people at Alfa and Bosch who build enough flexibility into the timing map to accommodate the needed timing changes.:cool:
And obviously the engineer who designed the perfect head and pistons that look after the perfect combustion.:inlove:
Then the idiots who did the original development whose flanges and positioning of components made it possible for a Perfectionist like Hennie to improve on the basic setup with his attention to detail.
Great job Hennie.:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
last year it was the ONLY turbo GTV...

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
If I may ask, Hennie, why did you respray ?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
He wrapped the car.
The oe colour was so dull in my opinion the car look’s 10000% better.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts