Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi once again I wish to use the collective brainpower of this forum.....

1996 Ph1 1 75k Spider

Daily driver since february, all good save for a few minor niggles until this

Driving along noticed temp guage was 3/4 towards hot. stopped, checked and not much water. But there was a lovely mix of brown foam in the expansion tank (not smelly). No visible leaks. Waited to cool down topped up and got home. Flushed system and refilled. Drove 60 odd miles no issues (temp held firm etc) checked next day no water, no goo under oil filler, no sign of leak. re topped up, drove 16 miles and left overnight this morning checked again no water. However, I have located the leak, rusty water/coolant dripping from front left hand side of engine, Flange with three bolts to the back left of the oil filter is where its collecting. I think this could mean the water pump is the source of the leak. what do you guys think?

Am I

A) Proper buggered
B) In to new cambelt and water pump country
C) Could it be a core plug?

If I keep filling it up can I drive it temporarily using stop leak? Or would that lead to answer A

Regards

VBM

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can you rule out leaking head gasket; possible that you have two problems? Needs to be a big leak to dump all fluid.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you rule out leaking head gasket; possible that you have two problems? Needs to be a big leak to dump all fluid.
Hi Mark I cannot definitively rule the head out. there is no sludge whatsoever under the filler cap so my assumption is this is ok. I am having the car trailered to my mechanic and he is going to investigate.

Thanks

VBM

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a twinnie? Could be the heat exchanger the oil filter screws into.
Hi should I call you Danny or Mr Spank? She is a 2.0ts, I have this picture of the leak......

Thanks

VBM

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Dan is good. I am on my phone so hard to see what I'm looking at but the rust stain seems to be above the heat exchanger. Worth checking the coolant pipes to it tho. I wouldn't drive it till I know the cause.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan is good. I am on my phone so hard to see what I'm looking at but the rust stain seems to be above the heat exchanger. Worth checking the coolant pipes to it tho. I wouldn't drive it till I know the cause.
Thanks Dan
She's just been trailered off to the garage.....:weeping: Recovery bloke thinks water pump owing to the noise.... was expecting to do the belt and pump at some point anyway so this has just forced the issue i suppose.

Thanks
VBM

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lucky to catch it before belt comes off and knackers valves and big ends etc.
Hi Dan
Yeah it could have been catastrophic rather than tragic! Lucky man indeed

LVBM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts