Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, My 159 2.0JTDM ti has developed a very strange screeching noise?

When the car is cold its not present.....I have a 30 mile commute to work, and driving to the motorway and down the motorway the car is fine, I then have a 5 mile journey once off the motorway and this is when the noise becomes apparent, it seems to be at around the 30-40mph area when the car is decelerating or freewheeling, if I push the throttle and speed up the noise tends to disappear, its quite loud, especially if you wind the window down.

The car appears to be running beautifully apart from this weird noise that started yesterday, its got 68k on clock and hasn't had water pump or cam belt done as yet as a bit of backround info.

Could it be brake related? belt related? vacuum leak as i've just seen on google?

Hoping this is a fairly common issue and an easy fix? going to take it to a local garage tomorrow if I can

Thanks guys

·
Registered
390 Posts
Is the noise accompanied by any vibration? If it's happening with the engine not under load then I'd look to something in the drivetrain, unless it's something daft like a stone caught between the disc and the backing p,ate. That can make a horrible noise, but them it should be there all the time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
That sounds odd. First thing I'd do would be rule out a trapped stone. Unlikely to be that but it's happened to me more than once.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine does something similar thou not quite as bad I was going to strip the brakes down when the weather is a bit better. did you find a solution?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Took it to my local Alfa dealer, they stripped the brakes down, cleaned and rebuilt them but within 2 miles of leaving the garage the noise returned.

The only solution they could then offer me was to replace the brembo calipers... very frustrating!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Try a different make of brake pad. I have had Brembo rears on two KTM Duke motorcycles that did exactly the same with stock Brembo pads. I messed around for ages trying to cure it, with Copaslip on the back, filing a chamfer on the leading edge of the pad material. Ferodo are silent, Dunlopad are silent. The fronts are fine. I think it's just hard spots forming in the Brembo pad material and causing resonance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts