Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only went in to sort a little niggle :rolleyes:

My passenger side foglight wasn't working so I decided to investigate, could manage to fix it.....then the automatic headlight adjuster started whirring....got it to stop....but then I tried to start the car and the ignition system warning light came on and the car won't start :eek: :eek:

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assume if done something with the relays on the edge of the battery, any ideas????

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Try cleaning the contacts etc on the relays and also check the battery leads are all tight after you been tinkering around

Strange that the headlight motor started to operate tho

Btw the relays are for the coils i think so you wont be getting any spark :eek:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been away a couple of days but i've still got the problem! Any suggestions please!!!!

If I go through what I did step by step hopefully you guys might be able to help!

That evening it was working fine, then.....

I checked the air filter, removed the bolts, had a look and put it back together.

I took the back off the drivers headlight to fix a loose connection and then replaced it again.

Removed and replaced the passenger side foglight then removed the back of the headlight.....

the motor for controlling the trajectory of the lights started playing up so I started moving the wires about on the motor and the headlights, removed the covers for the injection relays

and then tried to start the car, but all I got was a buzz/burrr type noise and the injector light came on.

since then i've checked the fuses in the engine bay, cleaned the contacts on the relays, tried to check for any broken connections (visual only) and cleaned the earth connection below the battery

When I returned last night the battery was completely dead not even dash lights....

Guys I need help! :(

If the battery was flat from playing with the lights would the injector light come on just not try to start the car?
Have I got a short somewhere?
What in the engine bay should I be looking at?
Could it be anything behind the driver's side headlight?

OR should I just bite the bullet and call an auto-electrician? :(

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Thompa this happened to me a while back

No ignition lights no start turned out to be a loose poor connection on the battery positive terminal :rolleyes: not the terminal itself but one of the small red wires bolted to the terminal with a 10mm nut(it supplies the ignition and power to the fusebox/starter etc ;)

Clened the connectors and refitted and hey presto all was fine again :D :D

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Thompatruck1 said:
and then tried to start the car, but all I got was a buzz/burrr type noise and the injector light came on.

Could be a dead battery, When I left an interior light on over night I got a buzzing noise when turning the key next day, think it was the solonoid(sp?) in the starter motor, could try swapping the batt from a different car, :confused: :)

Jack

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys much appreciated!

My broadband died so I wasn't able to post...tis sorted :D

Both of you get top marks! I'd left the battery on charge today still got nothing played with battery connectors and got back everything, it coughed and spluttered for a bit and then kicked in :D

Basically I think i'd worn the battery down playing with the lights (went down bloody quick mind!) and then fiddled and panicked!

Do I assume for future reference if there's not enough juice in the battery the ignition light just pops on and won't do anything???

I'm used to much simpler cars :rolleyes:

Thanks again :)

Uncovered another couple of things to sort but i'll bring them up in another post in a bit!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts