Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a long shot but ...

My GTV (1998 TS) has a burnt out resistor on the heater fan. I can get a replacement resistor but I also need the multi plug that connects to it as this is also damaged and needs replacing.

I've tried various online parts places but not received any replies at all. Alfa UK will supply the multiplug but only with wiring loom attached at ££££££££ :rolleyes: I keep checking ebay too but there's nothing suitable on there atm.

Is anyone breaking at GTV or knows where I can get hold of a multiplug and about 6 inches of wiring?

Thanks in advance from a very very cold gtv driver

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, not sure what it looks like tho, the garage are doing the work lol!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If it is that one ( except in black ), the manufacturer was AMP, but the division was sold to Tyco Electronics years ago.

TE Connectivity: Every Connection Counts - TE

The housing is part number 281873-1 but I don't know where you'd get one new.

The contacts to go inside are available from rs.com and are part number 282308-1 -
Buy 282308-1 online from RS Components but the terminal capable of taking the 2.5mm² were a special part for Fiat. It is possible to use the 1.5mm² terminals I've linked to with a bit of a fudge.

However, you shouldn't have any problem getting the housings. They were also used in Fiat Cinquecentos ( and probably other Fiats of the era ). Ring around breakers yards in your area asking about Cinquecentos. You'll find the connectors behind the instrument cluster wrapped in foam. Do not get the white one I've pictured above. The keyway is different and it won't fit.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
You'd probably be best off getting the whole heater loom of a GTV/Spider being broken to be honest.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Caveat to that : If the terminals and wiring are sound, and it's just the housing that's damaged, it's really easy to transfer the existing wiring complete to a new housing.

All you have to do is remove the secondary lock ( it's the pointy red and brown things on the connector in this photo -
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/pkr1/Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 1 - Retro Fit Climate Control/3 Installing the climate control unit/3-3 Electrical work/2011-11-16_14-13-34_DSC_0146.jpg ) and then gently lift each of the four primary locking fingers one at a time to release the terminal.

It all depends on the state of the wiring really.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice and looking up the parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts