Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All... I need some help!
I have just been a complete arse and locked my keys in the boot of my 164... :cry:
It wouldn't usually be a problem, because I have another car - but guess where those keys are as well! :cheese: Both car keys on one key ring...
The RAC said they would help, but couldn't garuantee NOT damaging the car (such as trashing a lock or breaking a window) which I really want to avoid.
Any suggestions? My next plan is to see what an Alfa dealer can do... Which I expect will be very costly... :cry:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I take it the car itself is also locked?

If not, there's a ski flap behind the centre rear arm rest that would get you into the boot with a stick or something.

If it is locked, I would have thought that second hand glass was plentiful. I certainly have a car that I'm going to break and could send you a side window (or one of the very small rear windows) if you will cover the postage.

The RAC and their ilk sometimes drive plastic wedges between the top of a door and the seal until they can poke a slim wire down to grab the lock button. It doesn't USUALLY damage the door! Also, well worth trying on a 164, would be a "slim jim". Something like a hacksaw blade with a hooked slot ground into the bottom. You slide it between the outside of the door glass and the seal and fish round inside the door to see if you can hook it round the rod that goes from the door button to the latch and pull it upwards. Maybe poke a long thin wire between the top of the door and the door seal and see if you can poke the boot release button on the centre console... Last thought would be to see if a local locksmith can "pick" the boot lock. Probably not as hard as it sounds.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here's a wheeze that it probably isn't a good idea to post online in case it gets into the hands of ne'er-do-wells.
It's possible to use a longish length of cane inserted into the front passenger door opening by pulling the window frame at the top rear out and pushing the cane in. On mine it went unerringly towards the boot release button and hey presto I was free !
Of course this depends on not having the boot locked in such a manner that the electro release is enabled.
Give it a go and see if it works.

·
Registered
741 Posts
does 164 have door buttons that sit proud of the door when locked?
If so they can be opened using discared packaging. The rigid platic bands used to secure bundles of newspapers and cardboard cartons. A policeman showed me, no really he did!
pm me if needed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All, thanks for your advice and help on this one - I have now got my keys back out of the locked boot. I had to be a bit creative, but it worked. Jobs to do next week - get a couple of keys cut. Get alarm system fitted! I am quite surprised that a car such as the 164 didn't have an alarm, perhaps it was an option which wasn't chosen by the original buyer of mine? Anyway, thanks to your help, you have saved me a great deal of grief and hassle! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts