Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fit a new roll pin in to the selector shaft on my sud. its a tight angle and there is not much room! anyone done it? and got any advice? a

K

·
0 Posts
not too sure which one you mean, but i usually grip the roll pin in some mole grips, that just nips them up slightly and makes them easier to get started.
don't know if you have room for that where you're working?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i did that to get it started bit space is limited cant get anything on it to force it through! its where the selector shaft form the gear stick meets the selector on the gearbox

K

·
0 Posts
can you lay a cold flat chisel on the pin and hit the chisel lower down, like a lever action?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will try my best. its just had a bolt in bit i think thats why first is hard 2 get as it fouls on the gearbox mount, its just so annoying. its so close but so far

·
Registered
725 Posts
If it is out of the car, it should tap in fairly easily with a pin punch. Are you sure the holes in the shaft and lever are true?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There true but its still on the car! i think its pritty impossable without removing the exhaust and other bits! For 1 bloody bolt

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Have you tried moving the shaft as though engaging a gear. This allows for more access to the holes. It is possible in situ as I replaced the oil seal to the shaft on my 33 a number years ago (I still have the special tool for inserting the seal if anyone wants to borrow it), I was able to get the roll pin started using a small hammer, surprisingly called a pin hammer, I then used a small G-clamp to press the roll pin in.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
John, its much easier than you think mate.
Due to my "gentle" driving, I snapped that pin quite a few times till now.

Just push it up, and move it about. It will come off the selector of the gearbox very easily. Then you can drill your hole and put a pin instead of that square safety lock they use.
.... if we are talking about the same thing that is ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have tryed it in all different gears to see if its any better! was wondering if a split pin might work just as well?

K

·
0 Posts
a trick i've done before is to file/grind down the roll-pin so it goes in, then put a smaller one inside that to open it out a bit again. might work if you have the space :confused:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats a good idea actually! i did get in a bit by squashing one end a bit with the mole grips. if i had a clamp it might just work. thanks for all the advice anyway. i have come to the conclusion i will never make it as a mechanic lol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts