Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last November we moved out of a property as the rent was more than we could manage. Subsequently we moved into a place that was fairly remote, remote enough not to be on main gas. We signed a 12month contract, over the last 2 1/2 mild weather months, i have used 8 bottles of gas @£60 each, 8 sacks of coal, 7 sacks of wood, and an unmeasured amount of electricity to keep us warm approximate cost of about £800. you could argue that the cost of heating is because we have the heating on 24/7 or we have 3 baths a day this is not the case in fact quite the opersite so much so we limit the amount we use the facilities to the bear minimum. Also since moving in the Dog dies suddenly, the Cat has been ill, both me and the wife have suffered an ongoing cold/cough and both our son's have spent a large amount of time of school due to ill health again down to cold/coughs.

My question is what are my options as we cant live like this much more, my financial situation is fragile at best.

·
Vendor
45,754 Posts
Is the place damp, or just really badly insulated and cold? I think your landlord has to put right any damp issues, I'm not sure about insulation/draft excluding etc.

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
Have you got a carbon monoxide alarm in the property, those symptoms could easily be the result of carbon monoxide build up. Get the gas set up checked ASAP and get a CO2 alarm fitted in the house. The landlord should have supplied a gas safety certificate, did he ?

Do it today !

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the place damp, or just really badly insulated and cold? I think your landlord has to put right any damp issues, I'm not sure about insulation/draft excluding etc.
Its a really old house, detached, the kitchen is freezing all the time and thats an extension. The double glazing is a little old and the window in the main bedroom has blow its seal.

Have you got a carbon monoxide alarm in the property, those symptoms could easily be the result of carbon monoxide build up. Get the gas set up checked ASAP and get a CO2 alarm fitted in the house. The landlord should have supplied a gas safety certificate, did he ?

Do it today !
The Boiler was check soon after we moved in as we run out of gas and i didnt realise so i called them out.
Also there are carbon monoxide detectors in the room with the fire and the boiler.

Scrounge pallets from any industrial/commercial sites nearby and break 'em up for firewood.
Good call...

Thanks for the advice i just cant wait to get out of here, its really getting us all down...

Whats also worrying me is i'm going in for a throat op on the 3rd and smoky and dust environment will imped my recover.

·
Registered
180 Posts
go to B&Q and get yourself some of the loft insulation rolls and sort your loft insulation out i think the cheapo stuff is 200mm thick,try and get hold of a wood burner,thats a cheap way of heating,or have you thought of some 3.5 kw storage heaters(you will have to get the econamy 7 tarrif set up) a couple of these will certainly make a difference,another top tip is if you can get hold of some thermal insulation boards(cellotex,kingspan)cut them to your window size and shove them into the window reveals , a bit ugly but it works,obviously you have to remove during the day, sounds a bit odd but it works

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Is the property provided by the Local Authority or Private Landlord, is it managed by the Landlord or an Agent?

As ADF says have you got a Gas Safety Certificate to prove the installation is ok, CO2 Kills !!
Gas Safety - City and County of Swansea

If they say its calor gas it doesn't need a safety check - IT DOES, ITS THE LAW.

Also does the property have an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate), this became Law in the UK Inc Wales in Oct 2008, this should show the relative energy performance of the property and the estimated cost to heat etc, you should have been provided this PRIOR to you moving in so you could make a considered decision based on the running costs of the property. If you were not provided one by the Landlord or Agent then there may be a way to use the leverage of a fine to terminate the agreement based on not being provided one.

Energy Performance Certificates - City and County of Swansea

Is the property damp or just cold? Environmental Health from the Local Authority may be able to help with free insulation etc some authorities have a fund for FREE stuff, they may also have a decent and safe home policy that may be able to help if the property falls below the acceptable standards.

Local Authority is probably the best place to start.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the property provided by the Local Authority or Private Landlord, is it managed by the Landlord or an Agent?

As ADF says have you got a Gas Safety Certificate to prove the installation is ok, CO2 Kills !!
Gas Safety - City and County of Swansea

If they say its calor gas it doesn't need a safety check - IT DOES, ITS THE LAW.

Also does the property have an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate), this became Law in the UK Inc Wales in Oct 2008, this should show the relative energy performance of the property and the estimated cost to heat etc, you should have been provided this PRIOR to you moving in so you could make a considered decision based on the running costs of the property. If you were not provided one by the Landlord or Agent then there may be a way to use the leverage of a fine to terminate the agreement based on not being provided one.

Energy Performance Certificates - City and County of Swansea

Is the property damp or just cold? Environmental Health from the Local Authority may be able to help with free insulation etc some authorities have a fund for FREE stuff, they may also have a decent and safe home policy that may be able to help if the property falls below the acceptable standards.

Local Authority is probably the best place to start.
Cheers GT,

Re: Gas Safety Cert, the landlord has a policy with British Gas and they came out to service the boiler before xmas.

EPC cert i did ask for it after we moved in but yet to be provided.

Cheers guys, just bought another 2 gas bottles an extra £119 takes the bottle count to 10.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Cheers GT,

Re: Gas Safety Cert, the landlord has a policy with British Gas and they came out to service the boiler before xmas.

EPC cert i did ask for it after we moved in but yet to be provided.

Cheers guys, just bought another 2 gas bottles an extra £119 takes the bottle count to 10.
BG may have serviced the boiler, but have they provided a Safety Certificate?

Also

It is against the law to allow the property to be rented if the EPC is not available to prospective tenants, if you want to take it further then trading standards would be interested in hearing from you.

Did you rent directly from the Landlord or use an agent?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BG may have serviced the boiler, but have they provided a Safety Certificate?

Also

It is against the law to allow the property to be rented if the EPC is not available to prospective tenants, if you want to take it further then trading standards would be interested in hearing from you.

Did you rent directly from the Landlord or use an agent?
An agent, they have been top notch untill this. I do understand that we signed an agreement and if we wish to leave early it could mean we pay rent until Nov 2012 unless a tenant is found but niggling things like the EPC may have put us off the property. Am i right in thinking that is should of been offered the EPC or is it only given on request?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
It's a legal requirement to provide an EPC at the earliest opportunity to a potential tenant to ensure they have all the facts prior to making a decision. If you've never been provided one then potentially you may have a case against the agent/landlord to terminate the agreement for the non compliance.

I'm not aware of any case law where this has happened but it may work on an informal non court surrender basis.

As stated earlier in the thread trading standards would be your first port of call for advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts