Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i need help removing plastic under the steering wheel on my alfa 166 pre face lift...
i need to take apart this blue marked plastic, so i figured i need to remove red one marked also, i removed all the bolts, found some hidden but still wont budge ... i need to replace clutch cilinder and its in very tricky place.. any help is appreciated..

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Holy crap, that looks serious....is there really no way to get at it without removing all that? Makes me glad I have a Sporto.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i know it sucks, and its damn hard :D
but did seriusly nobody ever changed cluch cilinder here, some help, even link on theme about it or something :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
IIRC you can't remove those parts, they're all part of the dash. I wanted to remove the section to the sides of the ICS when I changed interior colour from grey to black, stripping down the donor car they all came out as one with the dash.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
looks about the same as on a RHD car, remove the under dash covers, remove various ECUs and wires that are in the way, then get your head under there and un-bolt it from the pedal frame. The cylinder is above where your feet would be when driving.

I found it a whole lot easier to remove the drivers seat and lie down with my head in the foot well and feet on the back seats. It is only held on with a couple of bolts and then there are the pipes to undo, but not too hard.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thx mate, will remove seat and replace it...
Altho i want to change oil in the sistem, where is drain plug?
And new oil comes in brake reservoir right? On the right uper corner under the bonet, dot4? :)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
forgot to mention, before removing the seat, disconnect the battery for an hour so the airbag light does not come on as there is a connector under the seat to undo.

By oil drain plug, do you mean for the gearbox or the hydraulic system? The clutch slave has a bleed nipple on to help drain but there will be some spillage when disconnecting the master so have a cloth ready

Refill the hydraulics with DOT4, the reservoir is shared with the brake IIRC

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
forgot to mention, before removing the seat, disconnect the battery for an hour so the airbag light does not come on as there is a connector under the seat to undo.

By oil drain plug, do you mean for the gearbox or the hydraulic system? The clutch slave has a bleed nipple on to help drain but there will be some spillage when disconnecting the master so have a cloth ready

Refill the hydraulics with DOT4, the reservoir is shared with the brake IIRC
Saw this last night butt to lazy to past.:)

I think you leave it an hour or so so it doesn't accidentally trigger...Not sure of that tho...BUTT do NOT switch on IGN with the seat out as IIRC THIS DOES TRIGGER THE LIGHT.

I hope I don't get this as I wood need to enrol in a Limbo course.

Recall years agoi when my late father's Vx Victor pinged a clutch cable. the wee mechanic kent his stuff.....was a pig of a job ..BUTT He knew exactly were to cut a wee rectangulat slot in the bulkhead and clutch cable changed in jig time....A wee metal cover, a few self tappers and a wee dob of paint and off we went again.

Pomeo

Guid luck carot and lets ken how ewe get on.:thumbs:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thx guys, i already removed battery before even diskonekting electronics under the steering wheel..
I meant drain plug for hydraulics, want to remove all oil before removing clutch cilindar so it will not spil on interior, and its time to change it :)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
no easy way to do it, beside you do not want any air in there as bleeding it afterwards will be the stuff of nightmares. Just have a couple of old towels under there, not that much comes out if you leave the reservoir cap on. My cream carpets survived ok.

HTH

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys just want to say thx to everyone, i succesfully replaced clutch cilinder and bleeded it out :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts