Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to post this, I have had 3 alfas in the past and have gained excellent support and help from here. A newborn baby made me do a ridiculous thing and swap a beautiful 2.0jts gt for a citroen c5! From one extreme to another I know. Now at this time, I cannot afford to swap cars again. My next car WILL be a 159ti diesel but I cannot do it at present.
Anyway, the problem.....

Citroen c5 2.0hdi VTR+ is actually a nice looking car (in black) and got loads of kit on and a high spec but AWFUL suspension, it's like driving a speedboat! My wife didnt come on test drive so we didn't realise until after a few weeks but she suffers from motion sickness and cannot bear to be In The car! I drove 80 miles of B roads last week and the car is so soft, it really is like been on a boat! It just has standard suspension, not the active stuff where you can change it. Are they steel or air suspension or something? It is like all 4 corners are on separate road surfaces sometimes and the car twists round a corner instead of steering! I know some people like that type of thing but not me! It is like driving a bowl of jelly!

So, I know this is a alfa forum but you guys and gals are such a helpful bunch compared to the unhelpful arrogant people on citroen forums, I thought I would ask you first. What can I do to make the ride better/stiffer. I have tried over inflating tires but no different, it's the characteristics of the citroen suspension I think, could it be changed for standard suspension from another Marques?

I promise I will come back to a alfa 159 and for all of you who told me not to do it...... I can hear you saying "I told you so" and I should have listened, I will next time!

Kind regards.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
hello mate, the C5 is a hydraulic suspension system and takes a while to get used to it, my mate has one and i understand what you mean by feeling boaty. he hates it and he works for citroen!

sell it.

get a 159. (but they are massive too)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could sell it and get a 159 but the 159 would be a real high miler and to be honest, the wife would really go mad. She knows I don't like the c5 and knows my dream car is a 159ti and is happy for me to get one in the future. The citroen has 2 years free servicing and a 2 year warranty so when things are so tight due to the 6m old baby, I am lumbered with the c5 until 18m to 2 years so I want to make best of a bad situation by maybe changing the suspension or certain parts of it...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read on wiki that the c5 came with either the suspension I have or standard suspension so maybe there is hope yet?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car doesn't have the hydro active suspension. I'm not sure it actually has the hydropneaumatic suspension, on a service document it says I have standard metal suspension so I'm wondering if it's just normal standard suspension as apparently both options were available.

Attachments

·
Registered
40,629 Posts
What year of C5 is it?

I have driven both the Earlier noughties C5 and the later (Mid noughties) facelifted version, and they are very boat like compared to an Alfa.
I found that they do actually corner pretty well, it is just you have absolutley no feedback as you are doing it.

I am afraid you will either have to get used to it or sell it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a 08 plate. I have actually got some good help from my citroen forum. We think my car has steel suspension NOT hydropneaumatic suspension so I am possibly going to look at some lower and stiffer shocks to make it better.

·
Registered
40,629 Posts
The easiest way to check is to stick your head under the front wheelarch.

If you see a spring then you have standard suspension.

If you see a round sphere that looks like a toilet ballcock then you have hydraulic.

Don't they have some weird steering system too which has little feel?

Some lower springs and uprated dampers should improve things though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts