Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a voltmeter off ebay a few months back as I knew I was going to be working on my ICE install over the summer. With all the amps and other peripherals I knew I wanted to keep an eye on the voltage to be able to identify any sources of power drain etc..

Now I've already bought it, so theres no point me going back over the wisdom of that decision..

I dont know how to connect it though. It has a RJ-11 plug (like what you connect to a telephone). What is this supposed to connect to?
Im suspecting that Ive been a idiot as i didnt even check it /think about it at the time and its only now a couple of months later that I'm finishing off the overall install that I'm looking at it properly and considering that 'is something missing?' so im hoping thats not the case.. any help?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,530 Posts
I bought a voltmeter off ebay a few months back as I knew I was going to be working on my ICE install over the summer. With all the amps and other peripherals I knew I wanted to keep an eye on the voltage to be able to identify any sources of power drain etc..

Now I've already bought it, so theres no point me going back over the wisdom of that decision..

I dont know how to connect it though. It has a RJ-11 plug (like what you connect to a telephone). What is this supposed to connect to?
Im suspecting that Ive been a idiot as i didnt even check it /think about it at the time and its only now a couple of months later that I'm finishing off the overall install that I'm looking at it properly and considering that 'is something missing?' so im hoping thats not the case.. any help?
Don't you have any other details on it ? Basically, it should be super simple....just 2 wires, one connected to ground, the other connected to +12.....:confused:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Don't you have any other details on it ? Basically, it should be super simple....just 2 wires, one connected to ground, the other connected to +12.....:confused:
+1 or can you post a link to the fleabay listing ... but tbh if the voltage drops when the car is running something is seriously drawing a massive current

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing else on it, and cant find anything online about it either. its a pheonix gold digital voltage gauge/volt meter. bought it from a private seller. heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/phoenix-gold-voltage-meter-in-car_W0QQitemZ270429872076QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_Car_Amplifiers_PP?hash=item3ef6e05fcc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A4|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A200

when it came i didnt pay it much attention until when everything else was installed. i feel pretty stupid.. there must be another part to it i guess, like where the other end of the cable goes to. they guy aint replying and i reckon i just been done.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
ahh the key words in the ad are "from your amp or power cap" ... my amp accepts a connector like that, although normally it's used for controlling the power to the sub, I presume that it could also be used to monitor voltage

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
buy a stock volt gauge and wire it as close to the amp as poss as this will let you know the voltage drop on the cabling to the amp, or if your after an overall voltage check then wire pritty much directly to the batt

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yep, see above ;)

Yep that's where I got the quote from (thought I'd post it here incase the links stop working)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i have used the PG voltmeters in a couple cars, including the GT setup. whilst they are designed for plug-and-play into matching PG amplifiers, the setup remains the most BASIC of connection: POS and NEG wires, that's it!

the RJ-11 cable is 4-core. 2 wires are used for POS, and 2 for NEG. but you can simply use either of the POS wires (ie: use one POS) and use either of the NEG wires. it is easy enough to inspect the back of the voltmeter, and determine which wire is which:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/21577559/357253793.jpg

i have one custom mounted in the GT ashtray, and one in the boot:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/21577559/359997748.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/21577559/369252140.jpg

so the NEG wire can be grounded, anywhere.

the POS wire is best connected to some sort of ignition/switched wire. this way, with the ignition key OFF, it is 0V, and when you turn the key to ON, the wire switches to +12V, and the voltmeter automatically turns on.

there's a couple convenient options for this. probably best is the cigarette lighter POS wire in a 147/GT, which is the middle wire in the 3-pin plug. this photo is of an previous setup, but the 'factory plug' is for the cig lighter. the middle wire can be used, so tap into that:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/18995515/216722931.jpg

the GTV probably has a similar setup for the cig lighter. but you should always use a multimeter to confirm what wire is what (buy one if you don't have one!).

the PG voltmeters are very nice. great quality, nice LED display that is visible in day or night. the red display matches the colour of 147/GT dash lighting (not sure about GTV). they are EASY to setup, nothing special required. certainly no harder than a 'stock volt gauge' ;) , and more accurate than most. having said that, the PG meter has a trim pot. if you have (what you presume to be) a very accurate multimeter, then compare the readout between PG and multimeter. if the PG is slightly 'out', you can adjust the trim pot ('yellow' in pic: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/21577559/357253731.jpg) so that it reads more accurately.

if you decide not to keep it, and want to ditch it cheaply, just send it my way. i think they are excellent. :)

:)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gentlemen, thank you all very much. I did exactly what was suggested - stripped the back end of the cable, connected the two pos and two neg to available connections in the car and it works a treat.

very happy. thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts