Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people need some quick advice and help please. I have just disconnected my battery to remove an old car phone kit and now when I connect the battery the alarm goes off and I cant shut it up. I use the fob and it locks the car and opens it but doesnt stop the alrm from going off. I can also start the car with the alarm going off??? please help. Cars a CF1 2.0 TS. Tahnk you.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
The alarm is nothing to do with the immobilizer so driving the car with the alarm going off is correct. try disconnecting again, leave it half an hour and try again. During my Gtv rebuild, I was always disconnecting the battery and would often get this issue when reconnecting it. I don't understand why the remote isn't canceling it though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All sorted now. Dont know what happened but after 3 attempts of attaching the battery I managed to get the car to play ball by attaching the battery and pressing the key fob straight away. Is there a pattern you must follow or was my car just being an arse?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
When connecting a battery back up, most alarms will rearm themselves. So all that is needed in most cases is to disarm the alarm from the fob/plip.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Maybe if the doors, bonnet, and bootlid are closed, that might stop the alarm sounding off when the battery is connected. I appreciate that's difficult to achieve, but you might try 'tricking' the bootlid switch so the system sees it as closed even though you're in there connecting the battery (GTV). Remember also to keep the keys in your pocket as it has been known for doors to lock when the alarm arms itself. On the Spider it's a case of squeezing in behind the seats, or 'closing' the door latch with a screwdriver.

Either way, battery removal/refitting is a noisy exercise on these cars. The original-fit Alfa alarm in my red phase-1 Spider lets out a mournful, tortured dog whine when I disconnect the battery. Lasts for nearly ten minutes...

-Alex

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Alex, seems to have shut up now and I think i was getting the problem as I had the drivers door open when I connected the battery the first 2 times :). You dead right, what a noise for 10 minutes or 20 in mine as i set it off twice :lol:. At least I have this awful nokia car kit out of the car now though :thumbs: it was for a Nokia 6510, must have been in there for some years :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts