Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help. My alarm on my '98 156 seems to be deactivated and I don't know how to turn it back on again.

One day when I went to get in my car I unlocked it by the remote, but then the alarm started to go off and I couldn't get it to stop. I was re-locking the doors and then unlocking them with the remote, but it wouldn't turn the alarm off. I then got in the car and tried to start it with the key to see if that worked, but it was still sounding. I then fiddled about with turning the engine on and off and then trying to lock and unlock the doors via the key. Can't remember what I did, but eventually got it to stop.

Ever since then when I use the remote it will unlock/lock the car, but the lights will not flash and there is no beep that the car used to do to show the alarm has been armed/disarmed. I can also sit inside the car and lock the doors with the remote and then open them up and the alarm will not sound.

The alarm light on the dashboard is still operating and I have had a look at the fuse to see if it had blown, which it hadn't.

I have tried holding the remote button down for 4 seconds; turning the key in the ignition to mav then back to stop then back to mav and back to stop again; and putting the key in the ignition and turning it to mav and holding it there for 30 seconds. None of these have helped.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Bearing in mind the age of the car, it's possible the alarm has died. Water ingress is its worst enemy, not helped by its location; behind the n/s/f splashguard, effectively behind the wheel just above the level of the indicator repeater. Check the two connectors on the alarm unit for corrosion/water ingress.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yay!!

All sorted now. Disconnected the battery for a minute then reconnected. Alarm now working as it should again

:thumbs:

·
Registered
2005 Gt 1.9JtD, 2010 Giulietta 170 MultiAir Lusso
276 Posts
Mine is similar since I bought the car. Central looking works but no sign that alarm is working. The red light on the dashboard flashes continuously. It's not been more than a niggle really, but I'll have a look at the unit. Is it accessible from the engine bay or do I have to remove the arch liner?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts