Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone and broken my driver's side window switch. Has anyone got a decent one lying around that they don't need and would be prepared to sell? It's nearly R4k for a new one.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Do you know whether it's the same underlying part as the 156 switches?

Also: How is it "broken"?

If it's something that fried the entire controller, or physically smashed basically all the plastic bits, then yeah, you need a whole new component.
If it's just the one window switch that is broken, you probably have quite an easy fix (if it's the same as the 156).

In the 156, the 4-window switch panel in the driver's door contains four switches, each connected to a wiring loom through its own discrete connector. The four switches are made of different-coloured plastic and have tabs to prevent the incorrect connectors being fitted to them.
I don't know whether they are different from each other in any other way than these plastic tabs. If they are otherwise the same, you could cut away the obstructing plastic and interchange the switches.

In any case, a better course of action than cutting any plastic is to remove a switch from any of the passenger doors. (I would recommend the right-hand passenger door, behind the driver, as that's where passengers are least likely to sit.) This will mean that the passenger sitting in the back on the right will not be able to open the window anymore, but you will still be able to open it from the driver's seat, as well as be able to open your own window!

The switches in all three other doors are identical to the driver's window switch in the driver's door (in the 156 at least).

The coloured plastic switch units detach from the holders by use of a thin metal or fairly rigid plastic implement inserted at the front to release the tab holding them in place.
Each of the actual switch units are also actually two pieces of plastic, held together with four tabs. Do not try to release these four tabs - it's not necessary and you'll likely damage the switch.
Look at this picture to see what I mean: http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/images/156036162-1494-1-800.jpg
Do not try to release the equivalent of the purple plastic bit from the white plastic bit! (colours may vary)
The rocker which is visible on top can be pried out of position if necessary, but shouldn't be necessary if you are just swopping switches around.

If the system differs significantly from the 156 (as I suspect it may do), then all this info is probably useless to you - sorry.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As Giorget says, if it's just the switch that is broken, and not the unit, it's quite an easy fix. The 147 switch is slightly different to the 156, so they are not interchangeable.

If it is just the switch, you have to remove the top of the switch unit, and normally one of the little arms that the switch pivots on breaks. Your switch will then be loose, and work intermittently. Just replace with any other 147 switch, as per above. They are quite sensitive to touch, and can break easily.

Reef Motor Scrapyard sold me a 147 switch for my GT a little while ago. They might have some spare units for sale. Normally R250-R300, depending if they know you....and if it is a single or double switch unit

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
On my 156 my dad in law broke the switch it's self. The plastic button that you press down or pull up to operate the window.The tab that locates the switch came adrift. All bits were there and I repaired it with superglue and it lasted more than 2 years of often use.

I would suggest an independant Alfa workshop that might have spares though. As mentioned above, the correct part will work better than a dodge repair.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you managed to sort it out? Is it just the switch that is gone, or is it the whole unit?

I was at Reef Motors this morning to get a few odds and ends, and they do have single unit 147 window switches available - no double switch units.

I bought a spare switch for just in case for the GT/147s, it cost R350.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't actually done anything about it as yet. The switch works if you're gentle with it. I've been meaning to make a trip to Reef to see what 147 and 916 bits they have available.

If that doesn't pan out I may just plumb for the new one. My current onr has been very tatty for awhile and is now broken too. I think the previous owner broke the original then replaced it with a tatty but functional second hand unit.

I'm in the process of deciding whether to keep the 147 for a other year or trade it for a new car. R4k for a new window switch +brake pads and disc front and back+ 140 000km service = a tidy sum for a deposit on a new car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It does sound as if just the switch is broken, if it is loose but still works. If you do decide to just replace just the switch, and have taken the top cover of the switch unit off, you can clean just the cover with degreaser, which will remove the sticky gunk on the top of the unit. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it's a cheaper fix than a new unit.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
why is that switch so expensive?? i saw a mod where guys use the 159 oil cap (modded) on the gtv, saw that and i had to have it, went to alfa and the oil cap was 1140.....i mean for an oil cap

·
Registered
10,929 Posts

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
why is that switch so expensive?? i saw a mod where guys use the 159 oil cap (modded) on the gtv, saw that and i had to have it, went to alfa and the oil cap was 1140.....i mean for an oil cap
The dreaded 710 cap have doubled in price :smash:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is stupid expensive for a part that obviously breaks very often.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Get a second hand unit. I paid R800 for one in perfect condition 2 years ago from Autolusso. Might be cheaper to go local now due to the weak Rand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts