Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Today, changing from 1st to 2nd I heard a noise and then found I could not engage 2nd gear. I drove home carefully using all the other forward gears. When I tried to engage 2nd in the garage , it just would not go in. Perfect movement in all the others, but no go on 2nd. Has anybody had this? What could it be? Obviously it needs a strip down which I cannot do now due to work, etc. I do not want to try and force the gear in. That might cause more damage, or whatever.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

Ciao,

Alex.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi Alex

sorry to hear your troubles, not good eh!

the gearboxes have a long history of 2nd gear synchro issues, but they normally tire out gradually, getting more nopisy and crunchy upon changing into 2nd, going either up or down the gears.

usually, when the trouble starts, you can drive around it by letting the rev's drop significantly before engaging 2nd, and then eventually it breaks altogether i expect, but to prevent engaging the gear without any crunches and warning first, is a new one on me.

was their no noises or misbehaviour at all prior to the failure?

either way, it sounds like 2nd gear synchro has shot its bolts to me, so a rebuild or replacement box will be required.

if it struggled to get any other gears, i might have suspected linkage, or indents, but from what you've said, 2nd synchros sounds like the culprit to me.

good luck,

shrew

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Shrew, but now the box is totally u/s. Today, changing from 1st to 3rd, the box made nasty noises, and I had to drive home in 1st gear!!! Noisy and slow. I suspect something has broken inside, so I am now hunting for a replacement box. Somebody in New Zealand must have a spare serviceable box.

Thanks for your comments. I know the 2nd gear is a weak item in these boxes. I was going to strip it down, but now the damage seems much worse. It would cost too much to replace numerous parts inside, if they were even available new.

Ciao,

Alex.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would bet that you have a broken 'spider' in your gearbox - allows the slector ring to engage either 1st or second gear (there are 3 - one for each gear pair ie 1st + 2nd, 3rd +4th, 5th and Reverse). They look like a 3 pointed star and one of the 3 points has most likely broken. When they go, they go without warning and can allow movement for 1st but not second (or whichever gear pair associated with it), before total failure.

Encountered this on a Sud many years back and stopped selection of second and eventually other gears. You probably have fragments sitting in the bottom of the gearbox, so if you can avoid it dont use the car. Your gearbox may be salvagable at this stage with just a few spares required (spider and selctor ring).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a 146 box going for sale here in NZ. Can that be used (with some minor mods)? The linkage is cable operated, which may involve gear lever mounting issues.

Has anyone ever tried this option in a 33?

Thanks for your replies, guys. My symptons exactly match a spider failure.

Alex.

P

·
0 Posts
It sounds like 77's diagnosis now it has gone that t1t's up!

the 145 box can be used as far as i know, obviously all 145 were injected, so have the crank sensor difference to the housing, and i don't think you've said what 33 you have, but they do fit and work no problem as far as i'm aware.

do a quick search for info, i'm sure someone like cloverleaf pat, or maybe bigal has spoke of this recently.

good luck

shrew

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
To make things easier try and find a box from the same model as you have. A 145/6 box may be fine but cable operated so check that that can be converted to rod operated by unbolting/bolting. As noted it will have the cutout for timing sensor but that's no issue really - if your 33 is injected an earlier carb type box can easily be filed to accomodate the sensor. Remember that the speedo sensor is fitted to the diff part of the box and late outboard braked sprints have cable drive speedo like a sud so don't buy one of them. I don't know about the 145/6 speedo but it may be exactly the same as 33 so no problem. Also bear in mind gear and final drive ratios - if your car is say a 1350 carb 33 it will have a very short ratio box and a 145/6 unit may raise the gearing making your car very slower through the gears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts