Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
this is my first time posting here, still looking around the fourms looking for information. We've had a few alfas before, 90,156. And im looking at getting a Alfa 155 for my first car, but not sure as our past Alfa's were not so realiable and we know the parts are not cheap down here in Australia. Here is the a link to the car im thinking about buying---->http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=112079&current_rec=1&total_rec=1&sort_type=&make_id=35&model_id=4425&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

Was wondreing if some of the board members could point out what i should look for when i go and have a look at this car. I have yet to contact the seller about it, i noticed it was posted for $13,000AU, now its dropped to $11,000AU. I was hoping not to spend more than $8,000 so i will try and get the price down as much as possible. Do you fellas think getting a Alfa for a first car is a wise option? mind you im 18 and a bit heavy on the right foot, But considering this isnt the Q4 model i should be alright? Are there any major problems with this car i should now about as well?

Thanks for your help.
Shane.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The '55 is a good old ship but you have to remember they are performance motors, not Toyota Corolla's driven to church once a week by some old dear. They will be more "unreliable" as a result of being used harder.

If you start with a 4-cylinder that has been looked after, and you keep on top of all the little jobs that need doing, then it'll be okay and you'll enjoy yourself.

If you only like to peek under the bonnet once a year, or when the washer bottle needs filling up, then you'll soon have a hefty bill coming.

If the regular bits are okay (clutch, gearbox, shocks etc.) then the only thing I'd worry about is that the cam-belt and tensioner have been changed recently.

Anything electric is probably quite dear to fix, so check everything there too.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shane........welcome to the Alfaowner world :D

Try searching through the 155 section at the bottom of the board, there's lots of stuff listed about buying 155's...one of the more popualr questions along with "whats this diesel noise" ;) :D

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Shane.
It's a '93 car so will be an 8v engine. These are chain driven and therefore you don't have to worry about belt changes and they don't suffer from the diesel noise that Wrinx mentions (that's a broken variator on the 16v engine).
The 8v engine is pretty strong, just make sure you check the oil regularly.
As Ralf said, these cars will have to be maintained and not just peaked at once a year. Maintenance needn't be costly and once all the little jobs have been done (if there are any), the car shouldn't cost a lot to run.
If the engine is a little rattly, it may be the chain needing tensioned, which is easy, just a little tricky to do safely.

cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,
Thanks a lot for the replys. I got some more images of the car; i will post them up now. Im still not too sure, id love to take it for a test drive and check it out but he is in a different state, and i have to fly down to NSW to check it out, hopefully it wont be a waste of time. But we have to agree on a price for it first though. Anyway, here are the pics he sent.

I offered him $8,000AU cash as this is all i have at the moment, and he was after $11,000AU. I would still like to test drive it and i have been through the forums all day and found what you guys said to look for when buying a alfa.

And i was wondering if someone can confirm the engine model this is? is it the same as 2000/2001 Alfa 156 4cyl Twin spark engine or this a completly different model? as the guy selling it said its the same as the current 156 engine, but it doesnt seem like it to me.

Thanks in advance.
Shane

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Looks a nice motor :D

But looking at the engine it appears to be a 1.8 8 Valve engine which as Marlon said earlier is Chain driven and so it is similar in design to a 156 16valve engine but completely different to it as well

Looks like an Australian version of our Silverstone model over here :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't they look good in Black :cool: :cool:
It also has a very nice number plate :cool: :cool:
BTW welcome to the site. :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, but this guy didnt accept my offer of $8,000. so i have to wait and see what happens, maybe he will come around after realising what its worth. anyway, thanks for the advice given. Shane

·
Registered
647 Posts
erm...slikx5...

theres bugger all 155s in aus.....if he wants 11...he will get 11

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine is NOT the same as the current 156 engine.
The 156 is a 16v engine. This car is an 8v engine (the engine pic confirms this).
Completely different. The 8v engine is all alluminium while the 16v has an iron block. The intake and variator system is different too.
It should produce about 140bhp in standard form.

The price is expensive compared to UK cars. A 155 this age would be very lucky to get £1000 in the UK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
drew said:
erm...slikx5...

theres bugger all 155s in aus.....if he wants 11...he will get 11
yeah and he will have trouble selling it unless the buyer knows of available parts on demand.....

Thanks for confirming that Marlon, i thought the engine was different becuase our 155 16V engine looks completely different. Anyhow. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts