Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,
I need some help. My baby is outside my house unable to move because i am changing the rear brake pads. i have removed the old ones but cannot get the pot to move back in on the calliper. I have tried everything. The handbrake is off and the lid is off the fluid in the engine bay. i need to get back on the road. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO???

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Push the piston inwards and at the same time turn clockwise with a set of pliers, take care not to damage the rubber boot around the piston. You can also buy a windback tool at Halfrauds, makes the job a helluva lot easier :)

{edit: a little unclear at first}

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoygaard said:
Push the piston inwards and at the same time turn clockwise with a set of pliers, take care not to damage the rubber boot around the piston. You can also buy a windback tool at Halfrauds, makes the job a helluva lot easier :)

{edit: a little unclear at first}
cheers,
do i need to disconnect the handbrake cable?

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
I think you will also need to open the bleed nipple on the caliper to let off excess fluid...... please get this confirmed before opening.... maybe ring AR garge for advise?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black Beauty said:
I think you will also need to open the bleed nipple on the caliper to let off excess fluid...... please get this confirmed before opening.... maybe ring AR garge for advise?
...or you could take it out of the reservoir ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Wrinx is right, the excess fluid will go into the reservoir. Do not open the bleed screws unless you know how to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I did a similar thing with my 147 rear calipers. The first one I used Hoygaard's method of pressing and turning with pliers, this took forever and was very difficult! The second one I jumped in a friend's car with the caliper and took it to a garage where they wound it back with the proper tool, this took 5 minutes and was very easy!

If I had to do it again I'd buy a winding tool or just drop them down a garage to wind them back in. Desira in Hertford charged me nothing to do it the last time! :) Bet that's the first and the last time I get an Alfa dealer to do something for me for nothing! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts