Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I bought my first Alfa this week, several times over the weekend the windscreen wipers have stopped working and won't start again until I turn off the engine and restart the car.

Any ideas anyone. It's been an awful weekend for rain here in South Wales and this is a very dangerous issue if you know what I mean.

Thanking you in anticipation of your help.

Stu

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
You can check fuses carefully (especially signs of overheating) but it is likely a voltage check at the motor must be performed.

This could be anything from body computer breaking down, wiper stalk switch, oxidation at fuses and main wiring junctions and earth points has caused overheating or high resistance values in electrical circuits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They always stop in the rest position. I initially thought it was a dodgy variable intermittent speed know issue as it first happened when adjusting that.

But it happens when wipers are in normal operation mode too. As soon as I turn the car off and then restart it they work again.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The self parking rules out the wiper motor.
Check terminals and fuse terminals for signs of overheating.

I've never heard of a body computer malfunction but then again, you didn't mention what car you have and that makes a world of difference.
156s don't have a body computer and are traditional electrics.
147s & GTs do have a body computer so the car is to some degree an electronic network.

Don't be too alarmed as even a body computer is just an electronically controlled multi function relay.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I'd check the positive feed voltage from body computer and not the positive supply voltage which allows the wipers to park.

It could be a bad wiper stalk switch but testing voltage as described and at main fuse terminals (and looking for signs of overheating) could be a good place to start.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Probably electric issue in wipers engine under hood. Check as said voltajes and connector, you can try clean board with electric cleaner 0 residue. If not clear change it with cheap second hand to probe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts