Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So...bit of help if possible please...

With all this spare time we all have on our hands at present I’ve taken the time to completely decontaminate my Alfa Mito and apply some paint protection.

The whole process took me about 7 hours in total but towards the end I noticed there were some quite obvious white stains/marks on some of the black trim, mainly around the front grill area which I can’t seem to shift! It’s also left white stains on the front license plate as well. I’m presuming this has come from one of the products I used while decontaminating the paintwork.
Ive attached something pictures to show what I mean, I’m just hoping someone can advise me on how I can rectify this problem...
It can’t be the paint protection/wax I applied at the end as the marks were already apparent before that

Just for info in case it helps anyone provide and answer on how to remove the stains, the products I used during cleaning/decontaminating were as follows:
  • Snow foam
  • Iron fallout remover
  • Tar and glue remover
  • Citrus cleaner
  • Clay bar and clay lube
  • Shampoo
  • Water (obviously)
I’ve already tried chemical guys trim clean oil and wax remover and it did absolutely nothing! Trim gel also does absolutely nothing! I’ve even tried using an eraser/rubber on it after seeing various things online but again there was no change whatsoever in the results...please help!!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
34,471 Posts
It looks like a coating rather than the talc filler used to pad out and adjust the characteristics of the plastic itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like a coating rather than the talc filler used to pad out and adjust the characteristics of the plastic itself.
Thanks, any idea which of the products I used could have caused it? And what might remove it?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You didn't let any of the products dry on the car did you? Stuff like fallout remover and tar remover are really strong stuff.
I'd say something hasn't been flushed away and has dried.
Also, if you've clayed is best to polish afterwards as this will take the marring away.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
That looks very much like the deposits left on my drinking glasses and cutlery if I neglect to maintain filter cleanliness and fluids/ solids levels in my dishwasher. I use an aggressive wheel cleaner on those to remove the deposits (but not on my wheels!). Try white vinegar first (50% with 50% distilled or de-ionised water) washed off with copious amounts of clean water and dry, I'd use my filtered water rinse. If that does not work then use the wheel cleaner that contains phosphoric acid (also in Coca-Cola). The one I have is from Euro Car Parts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That looks identical to residue left behind if you let the snow foam dry. Happened to me on my black spider a few years ago. I snow foamed the car and annoyingly the sun came out, being black the panels got hot very quickly. I'd popped into the garage to get some buckets, micro fibre towels etc and on my return I was horrified to see on the bonnet the foam had largely evaporated leaving white residue streaks on the car.
Very difficult to remove as it was baked on, the only way was to remove with compound and DA polisher.
I have heard since that if you re use what ever it was that left the residue in the first place it might redissolve back into solution and can then be cleaned away.
I feel your pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts