Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've got a problem, I replaced the timing and the aux. belts on my 10v 2.4 jtd, and upon inspecting i noticed the crank pulley is vibrating slightly like it's slightly buckled!

I must admit I didn't look for this before and it might have been doing this before, does anyone else have this with their engines?

possible contributing factors:

changing the timing belt went with a few hiccups, i followed the alfaworkshop guide ,then started it from the key only to hear a clunk!, the timing belt had slipped. after repositioning with the markings on the belt and pulleys, it was mistimed when i turned the crank manually and there was resistance so i had to disregard the timing marks and rotate the cam pulley with the belt slack so it would jump teeth, then rotate the cam pulley with the belt on the pulley and turning over until there was no resistance, i had to do this about 5 times until the cam and the crank were in time and the engine turned over without resistance. after rotating the belt twice and with fingers crossed, i turned the engine on the key and it was in perfect timing.
When fitting the auxiliary crank pulley i lined the bevel up with the hole so i can rule that out.

could the "clunk" of the mistimed startup mentioned in the above paragraph affected or bend the crankshaft which is amplified through the aux crank pulley?

does a vibrating crank pulley have an undesirable affect on the a/c power steering , water pump, or alternator or is it damped out with idlers?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
on a TS the crank pulley has a hole at the back of it & the crank itself will have a dowl sticking out of it...... these need ot be mated into each other, if not the pulley will wobble .... might be the same for a JTD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks pat.
i located these upon fitting, even taking it off to check it's not that upon fitting for the second time.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
good news, great feedback :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts