Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I had a trauma yesterday; my alfa 156 2.0 jts selespeed packed up on me as I was trying to pick my daughter up from school. I would appreciate any help to diagnose the problem.
I was driving on the A34 just outside of Newbury, when the motor control warning buzzer came on with the warning legend. I heard a grinding noise from the engine, then lost drive. I limped to the side of the road (loosing power steering and power assisted brakes in the process). I called Greenflag who arrived 30 mins later. The gentleman from greenflag, although pleasant enough, scratched his head and sucked in his breath - but could not diagnose the problem. The car would not restart, and there is just a whirring sound from the engine when the key is turned. He did make a throwaway comment that it could be the cambelt; but just asked if I wanted the car taken to a garage or my home. I went for the later, as I only relocated to berkshire two months ago, and have not as yet looked up a decent indy garage. I also chose to get the car home, as I was not aware that greenflag have a 10 mile restriction on recovery.
I looked at the car this morning - with the key at MAR, the gearbox light is flashing. I did not want to try and re-start the car, as i thought this may do more damage. I could not see anything obvious from the engine compartment; I put the car up on stands and took the plastic protective undertray off, there were small inch long pieces of what looked like a broken belt in the undertray(only 3-4mm wide). I looked at the cam-belt from underneath, because I could not see it properly from above (plastic cover); the belt seemed to be intact. I did notice that a plastic cover on the underside of the engine compartment, had some of the same fragments sticking out from it (just adjacent to the lower pulley of the cam-belt.
I would really appreciate some advice on this issue. First for a diagnosis; and secondly for a steer on a good indy garage as close to Newbury as possible. See pic's of the fragments and the cover where they came from next to the cam-belt.

Many Thanks. J IMG_0805 (2).jpg IMG_0802 (2).jpg

L

·
0 Posts
cam belt has stripped its teeth, you need to remove the head & replace upto 16 valves or replace the head.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lacken - I take it that's as well as replacing the belt? As the belt did not snap, forgive my ignorance, but will the damage be limited to the valves, or can I expect other damage?
Joanne

L

·
0 Posts
upto 16 valves/head + skimming + head gasket + timing belt + tensioner + idler + water pump + labour

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
IF I am correct thats picture is showing bottom up, so thats the sump and therefore crank pulley you are looking at, which should mean the camblet hasnt actually snapped, in theory. It could just be tangled up in other things and held there though.

Thing to note at this point with a suspected belt failure is to never try and start the engine - will only do more damage.

Lacken could be correct in that it may have stripped its teeth, in which case it does as much damage as a belt failure. the cam pullies are coged and stripped teeth will just slip over them and the cam timing goes to pot.

My money would more likely be on snapped auxillary belt - in which case you are lucky. if the aux belt has gone it could take out your steering and battery alternator charging, although I dont know what implications this has on the sele system.

if aux belt did fail get all your belts and tensioners replaced like a proper cambelt service. aux belt parts have been known to tangle in the cambelt and cause the cambelt to fail, so consider yourself lucky and get all sorted if that is the case.

either way this isn't something you are going to be able to fix - needs to go to a garage and you need to expressly tell them you suspect a belt failure of some description and they shouldnt turn the engine over (mechanics are not always sharp and could just turn the key).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Artermis - the pic is from underneath, I can clearly see a belt still snaking through the various pully's and appears intact. However, the bits of rubber found, do look like teeth - they were poking out from underneath the cover next to the sump.
Davffc - thanks for the info re: garages.
Guys, how much will a bust cam belt cost (or indeed a slipped one)?
Joanne

L

·
0 Posts
its not just miles that counts but age counts too, 36k max or 36 months max.

L

·
0 Posts
if it were my car I'd put a belt on it & cross my fingers that when the timing belt stripped its teeth [ which it has ] that the valves were in a position that no damaged was done. It's a looooong short but I've seen ONE TS to escape any damage been done after it stripped its teeth. BTW are you sure the belt was replaced? Teeth don't strip of 28 month old belts & your's has stripped its teeth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
it will have bent some valves with out a doubt.You could retime with a new belt and check compression but no point really.Head will have to be removed to check how many valves are bent

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had it replaced at Alfa garage in Springburn (proper alfasteeler) - Just seen Black and White alfa indy in Cold Ash is just 7 miles from me - guess I will have to see what the damage is (both actual and wonga).

D

·
0 Posts
What else was replaced at the time other than just belt - tensioner, idler, waterpump ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts