Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hi Scott! I'm in Wolverton, so I use DaysMK as well. Dave is a very competent person and he was really helpful with my Brera.

The cold start problems could also be a low battery issue, when you had it changed last?

Smoking and power loss could be due to injector problems, as for the rear knocking I have no idea, but it could be a wishbone that needs replacing?

Anyway, I'm always keen to meet another alfista, so give me a shout if you want to catch up and we can grab a pint and share some knowledge and solutions about the Brera :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hey Alex,

Thanks for your reply. I do trust Dave as I have had a 147 before and always took it there and everything was very well done; maybe it is just my frustration with the problems that are difficult to identify.

Sounds good about the pint! wolverton is in MK isnt it?
yeah man, I feel your pain, I had the same thing going on for quite some time, now I know what the issues are and how to address them (well hopefully!).

Yup, Wolverton is attached to MK, there's another Brera in my neck of the woods as well, but don't know the owner, it'd be good to do a local gathering maybe. Caught another Brera in blue with a lady close to Asda, I just said to her "nice car" and she replied "I was thinking the same thing of yours" :) I like this Alfa spirit, you wouldn't get that in an Audi ;-)

Feel free to drop me a PM so we can catch up somewhere.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

As already mentioned your Brera will be a 200bhp model if it's an 06 or 56 (no matter what the dealers might tell you!). The 210bhp Breras have a sticker on the drivers door pillar stating they are 210 if you want to check :)

1. the rear knocking - silly question but try grabbing the nearside exhaust tail pipes and giving them a good shake from left to right. Sometimes a poorly aligned rear box or a worn mount can cause the issue you mentioned as there isn't a huge amount of pace under there. If it knocks then thats more than likely the issue.

2. sounds like it could be a battery issue, or maybe even the control module (if they have replaced the heater coil that is).

3. is there any chance someone might have remapped it before you got your hands on it?

4. sounds suspiciously like the dreaded inlet manifold issue :( hopefully not, but it does sound that way. Have you pulled the air filter off and checked the arm on top of the inlet manifold is still connected properly?
The inlet manifold problem doesn't always flag a fault on the dash and would meet all the problems you have described :(

Lastly, save yourself the hassle and get the car to Ned at autolusso (he isn't too far from you), he will be able to sort it in no time and would save you time and money to be honest.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My 2.4 Also struggles with hard starting in the mornings and everything seem fine.
I do the following to solve the problem.
Insert key until the Glow plug sign goes of.
Switch the car off. (press start button without depressing the clutch or brake)
Repeat this 3 times and then she will start immediately.
It seems like the glow plugs do not stay on long enough.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't help you with 1 but 2,3 and 4 were the exact same problems on my Brera 2.4JTDM 210 (2007).

The power loss on mine, like a misfire in 5th or 6th when accelerating was caused by a leaking Turbo gasket which was changed under warranty at my local dealer Corkills - so can't say how much it would be sorry!

I would seriously recommend the remap with DPF removal, EGR delete as it has helped extinguished the other problems dramatically.

There was still a slight rough idle and hesitation but Gus from Alfatune said this was dirty injectors. He said to put a bottle of Millers or Wynns injector cleaner through (diesel obviosuly) but not on full tank like the bottle says, do this on 1/8 of a tank remaining to empty and do this twice (I filled up £10). I used Wynn's.

Also don't use Supermarket fuel. I wasn't, but was using normal Shell diesel and now I've been using V-Power and it's a lot smoother, no blue smoke on start up and no rough idle. So it's probably just a case of dirty injectors and the need for a remap! £720 but it's worth it and will pay for itself (given the impoved consumption) if you have the car long enough like I plan to!

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Surely if it was the turbo gasket switching it of and on again wouldn't make any difference?

·
Registered
29 Posts
had my brera 2.4 200hp 4yrs 7 months 62 k and can honestly say from new till traded in 2 weeks ago never ever missed a beat starting wise used every day .mind you was never chipped serviced yearly regardless of mileage .no glow plugs replaced.the inlet manifold etc will give you grief unless sorted which this car got through its warranty in its 20ks.got new 1st bmw x1 now still a bit sad to let go, hope sum boi racer doesnt get it and wrap it round some lamp post.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Just an update: I'm with bed now at autolusso; they seem to think it's the injectors which were my initial suspicion and this may be causing the struggled start. It's not 100% confirmed yet but we will see. It's frustrating as I said to daysmk it seems like injectors and they didn't even check them. Instead they replaced the glow plugs (which did need doing) and the airflow valve and wanted to then replace the glow plug relay.

Not making any judgement until the problem is confirmed though. Next thing is to check the annoying knocking. :)

Fingers cross it should all be fixed :)
they changed mine under warranty with the updated version, but I still have the difficult startups in the morning or after a prolonged parking.
I think it's a combination of DPF, plugs and possibly diesel quality in my case, it would be interesting to know if people that had the DPF removed still have the cold startup hiccups.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Just an update: I'm with bed now at autolusso; they seem to think it's the injectors which were my initial suspicion and this may be causing the struggled start. It's not 100% confirmed yet but we will see. It's frustrating as I said to daysmk it seems like injectors and they didn't even check them. Instead they replaced the glow plugs (which did need doing) and the airflow valve and wanted to then replace the glow plug relay.

Not making any judgement until the problem is confirmed though. Next thing is to check the annoying knocking. :)

Fingers cross it should all be fixed :)
Ned and the team will sort you out :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
they changed mine under warranty with the updated version, but I still have the difficult startups in the morning or after a prolonged parking.
I think it's a combination of DPF, plugs and possibly diesel quality in my case, it would be interesting to know if people that had the DPF removed still have the cold startup hiccups.
I haven't experienced the cold starting issues yet..... hope that isn't something I will experience this winter! :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't experienced the cold starting issues yet..... hope that isn't something I will experience this winter! :(
Ignore my post above! :(

I've had remap and DPF removal and put a couple of bottles of Wynn's injector cleaner and all was great!

Now since the weekend I've had a couple of on non-starts on fire-up and then the huge cloud of smoke when it finally gets going! Not looking forward to the winter!

Also switched to V-Power and seems worse than normal Shell diesel!? I'm hoping the engine just having a 'detox'...if it were that simple! :rant:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts