Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbs: HELP! My 156 JTD has been behaving so no surprise it couldn't last. On the near side the anti-roll bar linkage started hitting the strut so off to the garage I went. Sorted....... well no allegedly fixed it lasted less than a day!!! I've got about 5 mill clearance on the off side and no clearance on the near side. Need a smarter guy than me to tell me the fix for this one or is it just goosed? Cheers.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had the same issue on mine,and guess what it was, the roll bar link bolt was slightly long and was catching (can't remember what it was catching)grinded roll bar link bolt problem gone. You might have the same issue or it could be you roll bar bushes are worn

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly it's the head of the ball joint of the bottom of drop link connecting with the strut so griding not an option....course I could lop a few mill off the strut (hmmmmm) but don't think that would be very legit. Sadly I think smaky's right, it's goosed and needs to be replaced. Looks like a bugger of a job. Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Front ARB replacement.

:confused: Can someone direct me to a "how to" on replacing the front ARB? I understand you need to drop the front crossmember or the like is this right? whats involved? Can I do it at home?

P

·
0 Posts
i dont think you have to drop the subframe, but the main ARB bracket where the D bushes are are mounted on top of the subframe and bolt through the bottom, a little blindly i might add, you have to peep through holes in the very bottom surface of the subframe to see the bolt heads underneath the top surface of the subframe, 2 per bracket, so 4 in all, and they are located about 5/6" toward the middle from the inner wheel arch.

so raise car, front wheels off, arb drop links off the arb, under the car, undoe the D bracket bolts, and i believe it should extract out one side or the other with a little coaxing and twisting, either side, same obstacles i think, but not too bad i suspsect.

i was about to do mine until i found the source of an annoying noise elsewhere but looking into it, it doesn't appear to be too difficult, and no special tools required, average socket set, and maybe a thin open 17mm spanner or (i think) a 5mm allen key (depending on which arb drop links have been fitted) to hold the knuckle in place whilst you undoe the lock nut. I say thin spanner because theres little room for the spanner on the flats of the knuckle between the arb metalwork and the rubber gaitor that you don't want to butcher.

unless anyone knows otherwise, quite diy'able i think.

good luck

shrew

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts