Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been at it for hours now but I'm stuck with trying to remove the engine mounting. The cambelt is off but I can't get the large ribe/Torx screw out of the engine mounting.

Didn't realise this has to come off to remove the belt :eek:

What size is it? Is a Ribe or Torx?

I think I'm buggered . . . :cry:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Torx50 or Torx55 will do the same job
In the same way some old A/F spanners will take out metric bolts, OK if you don't ask too much of them, if anything is tight you'll round them off. Much better to to get the right tools and save a lot of possible chew.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys. Ended up buying a Ribe set but it worked cos I got it off. Very, very tight too so I don't think anything else would have worked.

9 Hours and I still haven't finished. Packed in now and will continue tomorrow. Paranoid now that it'll all go wrong. Easy, my a*se!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice one, at least you know how to do it now. I bet it stretched to 9 hours as you didn't have the correct tools.
4 hours max next time you do it.
Nice to have the tools now as well.
Well done

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Delta - but I ain't finished it yet. still have to get new cambelt on and rebuild :(

I don't trust the marks I put on the Crank. I may have moved it.

is there any way to check that everythings lined up as it should be. Should have bought a locking kit. is it too late now?

BTW, can't find ANY timing marks on the engine at all . . .

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Thanks Delta - but I ain't finished it yet. still have to get new cambelt on and rebuild :(

is there any way to check that everythings lined up as it should be. Should have bought a locking kit. is it too late now?

looks like you gone in blind on this :rolleyes: when you put belt on belt should line up with dimples on pulleys and mark on belt .........did you put engine on tdc no 1 before you stripped ???????

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You should have turned the engine over to set lines marked on old belt to line up on cam and crank pulleys before releasing belt tension. At this point there should be dimply marks on the pulleys that line up with the lines on the belt. If there are no dimple marks then it'd have to be a tipex job which is accurate enough because you're only working to 1 belt tooth either way.

If there are no dimple marks on the pulleys and you didn't tipex them yourself before disturbing the old belt then you're stuffed, you will have to get the alignment tools to get it right.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys, finished the job and everything is working fine. I was cr*pping myself just before I switched the engine on!

I did make my own marks on the cam, crank and inj pulleys before i disturbed anything. Two marks on each one - and thank goodness i did!

I have no idea how to set it to TDC but will read the above and digest for next time(!)

With the belt off I found that the cam pulley wouldn't stay on it's mark - it kept jumping. So that cost me a lot of time.

There were no marks at all on the old belt (original Alfa) but the new Dayco belt had 3 marks which corresponded to factory marks on the cam, inj and crank pullys. I could line these marks up perfectly, along with my own markings and that gave me a lot more confidence.

Thanks for the link to alfaworkshop. i had that printed out but to be honest it wasn't a great deal of help - well, not for a numpty like me!

So, about 15 hours all in - from getting tools out to putting away. Yes, i changed the water pump too. Has cost me £140 for parts and the Ribes I had to buy. 5 or 6 hours next time i reckon. I think I spent 50% of the time just standing, looking and thinking . . .

Was hoping to get it done Saturday so I could make the north wales trip today. Oh well, the best laid plans, etc. etc.

Getting to the screws for the cam-covers was a *****. So was getting the Aux belt off and on. Oh and not forgetting the engine mount!

What did help a lot was knowing that I had you guys to consult if I got really, really stuck. never have to wait too long for an answer!

I think the Aux belt idler may have a slight squeak tho - I noticed that if I tighten it up to max it doesn't turn. Is that normal? I left if slightly loose so that it turns freely and i think it's that which is squeaking. Stops after a few seconds. Do I need to loosen it more?

I took loads of photos during the dismantle so will post them soon. I'm sure they'll be useful to someone else who has a mad moment of over-confidence!

Off for a bath and beer now. Cheers! :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Ok guys, finished the job and everything is working fine. I was cr*pping myself just before I switched the engine on!

I did make my own marks on the cam, crank and inj pulleys before i disturbed anything. Two marks on each one - and thank goodness i did!

I have no idea how to set it to TDC but will read the above and digest for next time(!)

With the belt off I found that the cam pulley wouldn't stay on it's mark - it kept jumping. So that cost me a lot of time.

There were no marks at all on the old belt (original Alfa) but the new Dayco belt had 3 marks which corresponded to factory marks on the cam, inj and crank pullys. I could line these marks up perfectly, along with my own markings and that gave me a lot more confidence.

Thanks for the link to alfaworkshop. i had that printed out but to be honest it wasn't a great deal of help - well, not for a numpty like me!

So, about 15 hours all in - from getting tools out to putting away. Yes, i changed the water pump too. Has cost me £140 for parts and the Ribes I had to buy. 5 or 6 hours next time i reckon. I think I spent 50% of the time just standing, looking and thinking . . .

Was hoping to get it done Saturday so I could make the north wales trip today. Oh well, the best laid plans, etc. etc.

Getting to the screws for the cam-covers was a *****. So was getting the Aux belt off and on. Oh and not forgetting the engine mount!

What did help a lot was knowing that I had you guys to consult if I got really, really stuck. never have to wait too long for an answer!

I think the Aux belt idler may have a slight squeak tho - I noticed that if I tighten it up to max it doesn't turn. Is that normal? I left if slightly loose so that it turns freely and i think it's that which is squeaking. Stops after a few seconds. Do I need to loosen it more?

I took loads of photos during the dismantle so will post them soon. I'm sure they'll be useful to someone else who has a mad moment of over-confidence!

Off for a bath and been now. Cheers! :thumbs:
did you tension belt up properly? arrow pointing to dimple in tensioner?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good work. All in all I reckon the £310 I shelled out last week for a belt and waterpump job was money well spent. :lol:
Absoloutely!

Yea, I tensioned the cambelt correctly. Took a couple of goes but it's fine.

However . . .

I ballsed up the Aux belt. Stupid, bloody, amateur mistake :rant:

On the way to work (Monday) the Aux belt shredded itself. Long story short: I fitted another belt while parked up in a BP garage (staff were very helpful and friendly) which also shredded almost as soon as I'd started the engine.

Decided I needed a pro to look at it so drove to a local indy garage (5 mins away) with no power steering :eek:

They diagnosed that I hadn't got the cam cover back on quite right (I really struggled with this due to tight space and not being able to seet it properly) and consequently the aux idler wasn't positioned correctly which was throwing the aux belt out. Doh!

So, cost me another £74. £40 labour and 2xbelts at £17 each.

So, I got the hard bit right but mucked up on the (relatively) easy bit :eek:

·
Registered
13,259 Posts
It's always the way.... but this time was a learning experience and they're always a bit of an investment. Next time it'll be a lot simpler and quicker.. it's how the pro's can charge £300 for the whole thing including parts .. i reckon it's an "eyes shut" job for them.. :)

I also had some grief .. my cam pulley bolts were really not having it until I bought some Pukka ribe or Torx sockets... then they came off in 5 seconds (hammering at them for hours, including tea breaks the day before).. :D

Anyway.. good job I reckon... If it survives 1000 miles, then it'll probably be fine forever. My beast has done 16,000 miles since the belt.. and I'm still half expecting it to fall off..

Cam-belts are a young man's sport, I reckon... :D

Ralf S.

G

·

Elo , if your doing a jts have a look at my thread it should help , glad to answer any ??'s , every job take's longer the first time , good luck , Nee .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts