Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife tried to start. No go. Dash lights on. Reading= number plate light . car wont start.

Husband tries to start, no go. Then tries to clutch start. will not click over.

Disconnect battery for half hour. No start.

Have now run battery flat.

Any takers.

Car left around the corner from home stuck.

Do I need new battery . ECU , crank sensor , ETC.

Many thanks in advance.

My intial thought was a low battery voltage , but why woundt it clutch start. ????

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I assume the code light is going out & you have tried the fuel cut off switch?

Alfa's are very particular when it comes to battery voltage, everything else can appear to be normal - dash lights etc, but if there's not enough 'juice' in the battery, they just won't start...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1of 1

Error code light goes out.

I have checked the fuel cut off switch and it did click down a little.

THOUGH. I cant start the car as flat battery and its 8.45 pm here , so i'll have to wait for morning to replace battery.

I suppose this is why it would not clutch start , no fuel in system to kick over. ???

I hope.

thanks again.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
You got a battery charger or jump leads?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery caused it to not start.... Don't try and clutch start it, these modern cars don't like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys no charger or jump leads. Ive only had it two weeks and its sitting on side of the road around the corner from where I live ( my Baby ).

I'll replace battery in the morning and cross my fingers.

Are those Fuel cut off switches that iffy ?????

I would say it was a iffy battery from the car yard I bought it from.

Many thanks for your quick responses.

Paul.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I wouldn't say they are 'iffy' but can be a common cause (if knocked for example) for not starting - batteries are good for a bout five years or so, mebee get yours tested? (most places over here will do that for free)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same here 1 Of 1.

I'll get mine checked first. If dodgy , i'll just replace with a good one.

God , i hope it works. sleepless night coming up.

Whats yr thoughts on me not being able to clutch start even if low charge in battery. I thought it should of worked.

just didnt dont to click over. ??????

Cheers Mate.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
TBH I can't remember last time I 'bump' started a car, mebee it's all still down to the low voltage :confused:

Anyhoo, sleep well, all will be good in the morning :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
The biggest charge from the battery is required for the normal start. It can be too weak from that, but should still bump start just fine in first or second gear and you should then be able to drive 30 or so miles before other stuff starts switching off. I've done this four or five times with no detriment to the electronics. After starting, the fuel pump is the biggest drain on the battery so it could be that this is not responding because the battery is too drained.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys.

Replaced battery with new one this morning. Still not starting.

Now the panick sets in.

Any thoughts out there , what my next step should be.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
blocked fuel filter ?? could be a possiblity not all that common but does happen, i know it's already been asked but just to double check when you turn the ignition the little key light on the dashboard does go out after a couple of seconds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey there Chocoboy.

Funny you should say that. Just got back from auto electrician and he said diagnostics were fine but fuel blocked in fuel filter. Fuel filter working ok but blocked somewhere. Hopefully have some news later today. Good I hope

cheers to everyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently had this problem with my 147. The engine cranked over but it was not sparking. The problem was the "crack shaft sensor". If faulty it won;t let the engine start. Attaches to the back of the block. Costs about 25 to 30 pounds. With age they build up resistance and stop working. Popped the new one in and it was fine. Depending on how old your 147 is (mine's 10 years) it could be worth swapping over...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just been told that the car has no fuel in it. Faulty fuel gauge.

Electrician wants to charge me $ 450.00 Aud for that diagnoses.

Not a happy Samurai.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I recently had this problem with my 147. The engine cranked over but it was not sparking. The problem was the "crack shaft sensor". If faulty it won;t let the engine start. Attaches to the back of the block. Costs about 25 to 30 pounds. With age they build up resistance and stop working. Popped the new one in and it was fine. Depending on how old your 147 is (mine's 10 years) it could be worth swapping over...
that only tends to happen when the engine is hot though, usually once cooled it will then fire again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts