Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Ive owned my Giulia QV since new (4.5 years) down here in New Zealand and just love it.

I need a bit of advice. I recently had a minor "event" with the vehicle where I inadvertently drove over a 150m x 150m bollard at 20kmph and stove in the CF spoiler pushing it up from underneath which has cracked the lower bumper on one side, the grill on that side, popped the parking sensor and broken the frame that holds the radar. We have no idea at this stage if the splitter actuators are affected. The silly thing is you can barely tell theres been any damage if you look at the car as its all happened from underneath with the CF splitter bowing and pushing upwards putting sudden pressure on the lower bumper and plastic grill insert etc.

The splitter is beyond repair unfortunately and the initial estimate for the replacement parts is eyewatering. It looks like I may be going this one alone (out of pocket) - long story - so I will have to source replacement parts myself and these are very expensive downunder.

Can anyone point me to a parts supplier I can deal with to purchase such parts at a more reasonable price. Im of course aware I will have to pay freight etc.

Would really appreciate the help from the board. It would be super useful if someone has a document that shows the front bumper assembly and associated parts as well.

Much appreciated...

·
Registered
9 Posts
A friend of mine recently did the same thing, except on a New York City steel construction plate. He sheared off the bottom of the splitter, damaged both actuators, and bent the steel frame that the splitter bolts to in the rear.

The actuators are ridiculously pricy here in the US, about $890 each!

He was fortunate to score a slightly damaged splitter on eBay for $600. It had surface scratching on the underside and a few small holes. However with some carbon fiber cloth, epoxy and clear coat I was able to repair it. This video is of how it looked when done. Unfortunately I don’t have any before pics.

There is a company in Canada that makes a reproduction of the QV splitter. In the pictures it looks quite good. It is $1,400 but I am not sure if they ship to New Zealand.

If your actuators survived unscathed, I would be surprised. My friend purchased two new ones and I used a scan tool to initialize/ sync them after the install.

The replacement of everything was straight forward. The bumper had to come off since I wanted to remove the frame the splitter bolts to and bend/hammer it back in place. But we got it all back together in short order. Best of luck tracking down parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QV Pilot.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and for the pictures too.

Your post is most valuable to me.

I feel for your friend - sounds like he did it really proper too like me! My damage is mostly on the RH side but I dont hold much hope out that the actuator body on that is not broken like in your picture. I believe the RHS one is the Master one too. Damn. They want around $1200 USD each for them here!

I have been in touch with the Candian guys for the replica splitter. Its well priced and high quality band they will send to NZ but the freight is pretty horendous. Ive found Canada is always very pricey for freight...

If you could send me any pictures you have like the front of the car without the bumper on in higher resolution I would be most appreciative as it may help me get a better idea of what I need to order. That back bar behind the splitter will be damaged for sure. Unfortunately the radar mounting arms (4 plastic rods) are all cracked on mine so Ill need to try and figure how to repair them as it looks' like they are only supplied with the radar module. There are no wrecked QV here as so few sold so Il will keep an eye out on ebay for a used one but they dont seem to come up so often...and need supplier who can ship etc.

Again thanks so much for your insights - its great for me that you have some first hand experience with the process. Did you use MES (multiecuscan) tool to reset the actuators?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn’t take any close up shots of the car while I had the bumper off. On my friends QV, we pulled the bumper first to investigate what may have gotten damaged before ordering any parts. You may have to do the same.

Removal of the bumper cover is fairly easy; there is only one tricky torx screw in each side that requires you to loosen the wheel well splash shield to reach. But it is important this screw is removed before trying to unclip the cover—otherwise you risk damaging the tabs. I have the shop procedure I could share if you are planning on doing the repairs yourself.

I know on left hand drive models, the master actuator is located on the passenger side. However both actuators are identical, so only placement on the vehicle determines which is the master. As far as the scan tool I used, it was a Launch Diagun. But there are now numerous scan tools that can access all the modules on the QV and have bi-directional controls. (New actuators come in the extended position, so you need the ability to retract them before you can drive the car) I have ordered MES, because it has capabilities the other generic scan tools don’t have, but it hasn’t arrived yet.

I will keep my eyes open for the radar mount. Seems like a small enough item that if I found one here I could ship it without you having to take a second mortgage to cover the postage. Of course I have no idea how long it would take to get to you.

Perhaps you could take some pictures of the damage, that would give me a better idea of what you are dealing with. My friend did not want to submit an insurance claim for the damage to his splitter and actuators because he had totaled his first QV only 9 months earlier (lost control on a rain slick road in Race mode).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
To be fair, I would be reluctant to get things couriered down to here at the moment. The international services, and the domestic services are such a mess I would not like to take the risk on something that would appear to be a large item. Unless it's very well packaged. I would think $300 odd for shipping for the splitter? I recently bought a wind deflector for a convertible I have, and that was a long thin box which was a couple of hundred dollars in freight. The box arrived very damaged, but luckily the deflector was ok. I would go with DHL if you have options, I find them mostly good. FedEx is ok. Then you can get caught out on import/customs duties if it's valued over $1000. Sometimes freight companies just add on extra charges when it comes into the country. Depending on the whole situation of your package. If the seller pays NZ GST then the GST is included in your purchase.

At least if you go through the dealer here then it should be easier to return or not accept goods if they come transit damaged that much easier than dealing with it yourself.

If you have a friendly panelbeater, or maybe a mechanic then they might be able to get the parts from the dealer at a lower trade cost. You might be able to twist the arm of a parts manager yourself for a better deal. Or if you have kept up the genuine dealer servicing and the like you might be able to use that as leverage. Sometimes while it seems a little cheeky you do just need to ask.

But, it's a rare and expensive car so fixing them up is always expensive, regardless of where you live.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Macca - my original Quad was written off and sold through Manheim auctions early this year. Car was hit in the rear and main damage there but got pushed into the towbar of a ute in front, so bumper cover damaged as well. Car was fairly easily repairable so I guess it's possible someone's putting it back together? Presume you've had the wrecker guys do a good search on their parts finder system? Also post a pic of the spoiler damage - don't discount a repair? Yes the parts are not cheap, must be close to NZD10k for the spoiler and 2 actuators. Ouch.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys. All very constructive help. Much appreciated. Especially about those torq screws that hold the bumper in place. I think I have the disassembly instructions on file somewhere from when I had a brief subscription to the FCL online manual databse and downloaded it. I also use MES (up until version 4.6) so will need to pay for an update this weekend so I can activate the actuators to check if they still function once Ive determined they are intact etc.

The Sparco front spoiler price has gone up in price since I purchased the car. I got a quote in 2017 when I purchased the car as I was curious should I damage it. It was 3500 NZD back then (1700 GBP). Apparently the part has risen in price three times in the last 4 years and now is approx $9000 retail including tax (4500 GBP)! Actuators came in at $4700 including tax (1300 GBP). Currently the quote for parts alone on a basic visual initial inspection by the repairer is over $20,000 NZD inc tax (10K GBP). Over half of that is a new splitter and the actuators. At this time we done know if those are damaged.

I will take QVPilots advice and have booked with the repairer to remove the front bumper and work out exactly what we really need. The bottom of the ac radiator got bent but its working perfectly fine. The car drives just as it did before the only thing that needs fixing back in place is the parking sensor and the radar (which I do not use as I dont have adaptive cruise and I always have the automatic avoidance brake system switched off as I find it intrusive). It would be nice to have it working but not if its going to cost thousands to replace the unit because of the broken bracket and have it calibrated.

Worse case if the bugest doesn't stretch then Ill have a new bumper fitted and the splitter from Canada, a grill and any damaged clips and under tray replaced and hopefully skid in around 10K NZD including tax, labour and paint. Thats about all the appetite I have for it really as I intended to keep it another 5 years (love it so much) and I suspect by the time I sell it it will either be worth next to nothing or else the Sparco seats, carbon spoiler and carbon hoot will be worth more parted out than the car as a whole looking at the pricing and the way its going....

One the subject of the CF sparco hood all I can say is in a few years time a new one of those will cause an insurance write off for these cars. I believe locally a new one with all the ancillary parts painted and fitted is nearly $14K NZD in tax (7500 GBP)!!!

Ill take some pictures when its on the hoist. In the meantime tell me if you think this looks like $12.5K GBP of damage? The car world is becoming a very expensive place!

Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Wheel

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sprint_Veloce - thanks for your insight. Sorry to hear about your Quad. I can easily see now how easily it would be to write off one of these for very little damage. A real shame. Id go as far as to say they are worth more parted out today than whole! And yes you were pretty much bang on with your estimates on cost of splitter and actuators. I always knew they were a liability. In truth the splitter could have been fixed and fiberglass for all I care as I rarely spend time above 120-130kmpg or whenever the thing deploys and Ive never noticed any difference in road holding when it works. Maybe I can get it repaired and leave it fixed in the up position if the RHS actuator is toast. Luckily the main impact of the bollard I ran over was to the left of the screw at the bottom of the actuator - I guess I can only hope although it seems unlikely it avoided damage. $2.2K NZD for a short rod piston activated by 12v. The Italians must be on drugs....or thinking Quad owners sell drugs LOL!

·
Registered
Giulia QV 2017
1,463 Posts
OMG. I don't think I'll ever drive my quad again after reading this thread for fear of damaging the splitter.

@Macca993 - gutted for you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I guess if we ever wondered how Alfa Romeo turns a profit we know now - selling parts with a huge profit margin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts