Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Somebody drove into my GTV while it was parked last night and damaged the off side front wing and drivers door :cry:

Thankfully she was honest enough to leave a note and contact details. I'm going to nip out and get a quote from a bodyshop at lunchtime but I wondered if I would be better off seeking out a good second hand door and wing in silver and fitting them.

I don't want to create **** loads of work for myself but equally as she has been honest enough to leave a note I would prefer to get it sorted without the insurance company getting involved as that is her preference.

What are your thoughts? Can you point me in the direction of any Alfa breakers?

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Getting it sorted without your insurance involved is ok until they get the repair bill and start to wriggle etc ......IMO I would just go down the road of the insurance company.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Getting it sorted without your insurance involved is ok until they get the repair bill and start to wriggle etc ......IMO I would just go down the road of the insurance company.
+1 to that I'm afraid ... you're going to be spending alot of YOUR time sorting this out ... that is what you pay your insurance for ... if she wants to do the running about and sorting out getting it fixed and paying directly etc then go for that ... otherwise insurance ...

·
Registered
535 Posts
definetly. its nice someone leaves a note like that but at the end of the day. They have damaged your car and if you end up trying to get components yourself and reduce costs, the only person thats gonna end up shafted is you

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
without sourcing 2nd hand parts I imagine it'll cost a fair bit, probably around a thousand!
And if you do go through the insurance, the quote would probably be over £1500 or something silly !

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Your insurance premium will go up even though it's not your fault, and you'll have to declare it for 4/5 years if you do go through the insurance...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
A NCB is not a No Accident Bonus. You may find that your underlying premium rises even if the other party's insurance pays for everything, as statistically you become a greater risk, so it may be in both your interests to sort it out without insurance co. involvement.

On the other hand, the other party may be totally naive about how much even a small scrape costs to repair these days, and will want to go via the insurance anyway when she finds out the cost.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
On the other hand, the other party may be totally naive about how much even a small scrape costs to repair these days, and will want to go via the insurance anyway when she finds out the cost.
Whenever I've been down this route before (once when my sister-in-law drove into my wifes car) as soon as the quote comes in all parties quickly realise that it is an insurance job (the trouble is near me you have to PAY for a repair quote if it is not being done through insurance).

... the only precaution I would take is that the insurance company might want to write off your car in which case it might actually be better for YOU to sort it out ...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Same thing happened to me in June so would definitely advise you take the insurance route. They were actually very good and sorted everything. If it wasn't your fault, why should you do anything yourself?

I think the final bill paid by their insurance was in the region of £4,500 (including the hire car I had for over a month @ £50/day)!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I think the final bill paid by their insurance was in the region of £4,500 (including the hire car I had for over a month @ £50/day)!
That's the trouble though, there is a risk that the GTV will be written off as (assuming that it is about a '00 reg ish) that it will only be worth a couple of k ...

·
Registered
945 Posts
but if you know it is ok, it's only worth a few k anyway (and you're not planning on selling) then what is the harm in it being officially a 'cat d'??

If it is her fault and is coming out of her insurance then it will not affect your NCB. When my neighbour drove into my old black GTV, I phoned DL just to keep them in the loop/ask them if I should tell them and they said I should just continue talking to the 3rd parties insurance and only contact them if they're not playing ball.

Unless you know the guys in the bodyshop and are used to buying/fitting bits of car then I'd let her insurance sort it out. It certainly is worth finding new/2nd hand parts though as I tend to find most bodyshop bodywork jobs are unsatisfactory. Don't worry about the colour and get the parts/side of car resprayed.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I had a similar situation last week, a woman reversed into my gf's car (while she was in it but stationary), it popped out the foglamp (easily put back in and made a couple of small scratches on the bumper.

The woman (who lives accross the street) wrote a cheque there and then for £100 - at first I though she should ask to go the insurance route, but then we decided that I'll touch up the scratches and we'll use the money to get her door handle fixed!

A

·
0 Posts
Whats the point of having insurance these days when the penalties for actually using it are worse that paying for repairs yourself.
I'm still getting shafted by my insurance company from when my bonnet catch failed - and damaged a fair amount. (declared by them as my fault predictably - how it was my fault i cant see).
Rant over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for you comments, I can see the risk in going down the non insurance route and now that i've had a quote I think it's bound to be an insurance job.

Went to a local accident repair place and they said that the door and wing would both be repairableable. They are going to prepare a quote and post it to me but the guy suggested it would be £400 - £500 when I pushed him.:eek:

Can't see the insurance company writing it off at that level, I agree with the above - reckon they would value my car on a '99V at around £2k.

Just got to ring her and tell her the news now...

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
if it's done as an insurance quote they'll do it as new wing/door etc no expense spared and it'll be way higher.

Had a similar thing with my last car, non insurance quote was £400, insurance was £1200 !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts