Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a set of LED sidelight bulds for my GT,but while trying to wiggle it into position in the headlamp I must have twisted the bulb in its holder and it popped out of the holder, through the hole it protrudes through in the reflective backing of the lamp and dropped down to the bottom of the lamp under the reflective plastic. Does anyone know whether it's possible to get to this area without removing the entire head lamp and dismantling it?

thanks

Andy

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
You'll need to remove the lamp I'm afraid but you may be able to shake it to a position where you can reach it if you take the other bulbs out. Happy fishing ;)

P

·
0 Posts
try glueing a magnet onto a Mcdonalds straw and go 'fishing' as joss said. dont fancy your chances much but it'd be worth a punt before removing the whole thing?
Pig of a thing to get at at the best of times!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Damn, you'd not only have to remove it you'd need to do the whole oven heat to separate the casing?? F- that!

Do that straw/magnet thing. I hope it works.

You have a wee bit of space when you remove the main bulbs, might be able to use some sort of double sided tape on a straw or the magnet thing as suggested. Good luck either way

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I did the very same thing a couple of weeks ago (do search for 'fix one thing, break another'), the LED bulbs I bought weren't magnetic. Try a magnet on your other LED, you may be lucky.

I was then faced with removing the headlamp. After I posted my dilemma in here suggestions were air lines, bluetack on straws etc. This encouraged me as I didn't think the space under the reflector was accessible without a lot of dismantling...however it is possible.

I had some stiff external telephone cable kicking around, wrapped the end with double-sided carpet tape and went fishing from the back under the reflector.... I landed meself a smal LED bulb. Deep joy.

Have a go, if you've resigned yourself to removing the headlamp (for which you need to drop the bumper) have a go, you've nothing to lose.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is that the bulb is hardly even visible, it's largely hidden underneath the reflective plastic of the head lamp. I think I'll just order some more bulbs and live with th one that's in there rattling about for the rest of the car's life.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Exactly the same as the situation I was in, just barely visible....so you know where it is. Just to clarify, you're not fishing through the hole the bulb is supposed to sit in, go in from the back of the headlight UNDER the reflector....there IS space under there.

All the best

Pub.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i try it happened to me pushed a bycle inflater in there with the flexable rubber end in place. i was going to try and blow it out, but i pushed it right in and swept it from one side to the other heard a rattle looked in and lo and behold there was the bulb result

·
Registered
860 Posts
hi learnt a great trick from a retired mechanic, did my right hand side one last night ,when you are trying to put it back put the side lights on, reach in and the light will guide you to the hole took me 10 mins start to finish walla

·
Registered
2 Posts
I came across this thread after doing the exact same thing when putting a new LED bulb into my GT headlight.

Before starting a fishing exercise as described above, or removing the bumper and headlight, I thought I'd try taking the car up a really steep bank near me, jerking the car by going on and off the revs as I went up. After stopping on the hill I found that this had worked. Some wires had prevented it coming all the way to the back of the unit but it was within fairly easy reach by hand.

Thought I'd share to save anyone else going straight for the approaches mentioned above!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts