Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, help needed folks. When I bought the new bella I also picked up a few more subtle blingy bits from ebay, done this before, all safe, and now regret it.

One if the items was a pair of metallic dustcaps, not locking ones or anything, just shinier than your average black plastic. Problem is they've rusted in place and I can't shift the buggers. Have attacked with WD40 over last 24 hours but no joy, and of course trying to twist the cap off with pliers mostly stresses and twists the rubber neck of the tyre valve, which scares me.

So, any bright ideas?

TIA

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Stewart156 said:
Check your tyre pressure more often?? :D
Id go with that - check them every few weeks and they shouldnt have time to rust in place.

I would drive down to your local tyre place and then in the car park use the pliers - then at least if the valve gets mangled you are in the right place and can have it fixed up for a few quid :)

btw - if using them again, put a tiny dab of grease on the threads, wont sieze then :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your tyre pressure more often??
Cheeky! Ironically If I hadn't checked the pressure they would probably come off, suspect it's the chromed coating that's come off from screwing the caps on / off a couple of times that's exposed the base metal.

G

·
Should have got someone to steal you some F1 dust caps ;) My dad used to work with a guy that did photography for F1 and some of the drivers fan clubs, he managed to have some away and gave me some. They're quite nice and have a rubber seal inside too, just hope they came from Ferrari :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
flish said:
Ok, help needed folks. When I bought the new bella I also picked up a few more subtle blingy bits from ebay, done this before, all safe, and now regret it.

One if the items was a pair of metallic dustcaps, not locking ones or anything, just shinier than your average black plastic. Problem is they've rusted in place and I can't shift the buggers. Have attacked with WD40 over last 24 hours but no joy, and of course trying to twist the cap off with pliers mostly stresses and twists the rubber neck of the tyre valve, which scares me.

So, any bright ideas?

TIA
try heating them up first with a small blowtorch obviousley being very careful

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm thinking someone's mistaken the grease tub with QuickSteel :D

Only way out of that if it won't undo is to take the tyre off...but it needs to be deflated. Best bet would be to pull the valve away from the rim and cut the rubber where it goes into the wheel. Then old tyre off, new valve, tyre back on, job done :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your helpfull, and otherwise :p , suggestions. £28 and four new valves later the world's a better place. Apparently this is a more and more common problem. The tyre place and sure why, whether it's cheap non rust proof metals in the cheaper dustcaps, or something different that's being done with the metal valves.

Either way, black plastic caps for me for while now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts