Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any kind mechanic out there who can help with a strange knocking sounds I have from my 156 since I changed the lower/upper wishbones, car went into garage yesterday but they have no idea what the knocking is.

If so contact me on 07850 260817

I live in Long eaton , Notts area, but can travel.

Thanks

Andy.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
knocking can be tied rods ,tops wishbones tend to squeak,unless really shot ,lower arms can knock if badly warn and antiroll bar bushes

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi changed all wishbones and droplinks, the knocking only appeared aftyer i did this job, disconnected the droplinks and its still there, so its nor ARB, I just have no idea what it is, my local garage checked it our yesterday and they drew a blank.
Only happens when i pull away in 1st and 2nd gear hard, it knocks and then when i lift off itgoes away.
At the ends of my patience with damn thing,

Hammo.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
drive shaft could not be seated right ive seen similar problem on here regards a knocking after lower wishbones been done

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh Ive been thinking something with driveshafts, is this easy job to put right, or best left to garage.

Andy.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
If you take it to a garage, don't take it back to the muppets you went to earlier .. a knocking driveshaft should be easy to spot.

When you did the lower arms, what end did you disconnect on the driveshaft .. or didn't you?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never disconnected the driveshaft, but i did struggle for a complete day fitting the wishbone, so could have done some damage to the driveshaft i guess when refitting the lower wishbone.
What do you think Ive done to the driveshaft, its booked in at specailist Alfa garage on thursday, so hopefully they will fix it as Im going to Cornwall on saturday for my hols.
Hammo.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Only happens when i pull away in 1st and 2nd gear hard, it knocks and then when i lift off itgoes away.
Rear bottom engine mount. I had the same problem. When you accelerate hard the worn mount cant handle engine moving anymore so it knocks on the driveshafts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts