Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

A quick search on the forum yielded no results, so here we go: how does one remove the 4 air vents from the dashboard? Specifically, the 4 round front-facing ones.

If I recall from the 159, it takes two J-shaped pieces of wire/metal and a firm tug to pull them free. Is it the same for the MiTo, or is there a different trick to it? Any chance of breaking clips or needing replacement retaining springs/bits/etc?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I need some replacement from other cars. There was a benz A klasse retrofit. But they are hard to find. May be some mini cooper ones can fit also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you mention the A-Class, as those are the ones I’ll be fitting! Personally I prefer their look over the stock ones, which -to my eyes- look a little bland for what is otherwise a very nice place to be.

Still, I do need to get the old ones out first. So before I go out and wreck my new (to me anyway) car, anyone ever tried to remove them?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just clamp a screwdriver (flat) inbetween the vent and the dashboard at the bottom of the vent and lever it upwards. During this movement pull it out. Quite easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Funny you mention the A-Class, as those are the ones I’ll be fitting! Personally I prefer their look over the stock ones, which -to my eyes- look a little bland for what is otherwise a very nice place to be.

Still, I do need to get the old ones out first. So before I go out and wreck my new (to me anyway) car, anyone ever tried to remove them?
Can you share some knowledge after fitting them, some dimensions, pictures. I only watched a video of fiting them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will report back once I actually get round to it. Those Thursday-night plans got changed once drinks got involved..

Any chance you can link that removal video? Couldn’t find any myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allright, so had an hour to spare tonight, turned out I needed only 5 minutes. Apologies in advance for the poor quality photo's. The sun sets ever earlier these days, and with time only being available after a days work I have to do this in the dark. As for the actual job:

Thanks to the tip from JnL, removing the original vents was dead easy. Simply place a flathead screwdriver underneath the vent between the outer ring and dashboard, apply mild pressure by twisting the handle and a firm pull will release the vent. You're now left with a hole in the dash and the insert in your hand. Location of the original insert is done by a guidance ridge on the insert and a matching cut-out in the dash, as shown in the pictures.

The A-class vents use a different method. Four retention clips would normally secure them in the dash, but this makes them a fraction too large to fit the MiTo. I recon, though I didn't measure the difference yet, that they're around 1-2 millimeters larger in diameter, if that.

So I'm now left with 2 new questions: how to fit the new vents in the dash, and then how to secure them (rattle-free). :read:

To be continued in the daylight...

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YES! :smokin: Frantic Googling (for lack of daylight once you get back from the office...) has actually yielded a result.

This video shows you how to modify the A-class vents to suit the MiTo's dash. I'll definitely be giving this a try in the near future, but I didn't want to withhold my find from you guys. It's in Italian, but the pictures speak for themselves.

To each their own, but I personally much prefer the look of the A-class style vents over the regular ones. Can't wait to get this done! If anyone else does, please let me know how you got on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts