Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to remove the door cards first or can you just open the relevant bolts etc?

I know there are good links in the Haynes section to help with removing the door cards.

(Spot the wrecker!:))

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I think you can get away with just the bolts, Rory. But, they are a swine to loosen off.
Door cards aren't that difficult to remove though, if you have to.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you can get away with just the bolts, Rory. But, they are a swine to loosen off.
Door cards aren't that difficult to remove though, if you have to.
Thanks George!

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Like all recent Alfas, removing the doors is very easy - certainly no need to touch the door cards. You just need to undo the screws holding the door check-strap to the doorpost, unplug the electics, then remove the vertical bolts through the hinges (top one comes out downwards, bottom one upwards. Never had an issue removing these, so not sure why pendragonfalls thinks they are a swine ;) . Then simply lift the door off the hinge posts.......though be warned the door can be fairly heavy, so an extra pair of hands can help - I'm removed them on my own, though.....

Re-fitting is the reverse of removal, as they say....

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like all recent Alfas, removing the doors is very easy - certainly no need to touch the door cards. You just need to undo the screws holding the door check-strap to the doorpost, unplug the electics, then remove the vertical bolts through the hinges (top one comes out downwards, bottom one upwards. Never had an issue removing these, so not sure why pendragonfalls thinks they are a swine ;) . Then simply lift the door off the hinge posts.......though be warned the door can be fairly heavy, so an extra pair of hands can help - I'm removed them on my own, though.....

Re-fitting is the reverse of removal, as they say....
Pity I didn't see this before I did it but I had no major mishaps! I did it on my own too.
As well as removing the bonnet which was a little bit adventurous.
Any tips on switching door cards? As is in the coloured leather bit that has white plastic screws. Popping off is all very well but replacing could be tricky?

FYI Pendragon is a bit mad so that might explain?

:lol:

He's a gem really...

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
The last time I took one off, the bolts must have been put on by Hercules himself. They were a real swine to loosen off. Then again, I was using el'cheapo spanners...:mygrin1:

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Yeah what are you actually trying to do? :cheese:

I've not ried swapping the door card leather trims on a 166 - I did look at it on a 156 but they are "heat-welded" into position so I think whilst the trom can be snapped of, it would need to be glued back into place, I think......

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just in case you are actually swapping doors over (and I mean for ones off of another car rather than front to rear :p ), then from experience be aware that the door looms may be different and you may need to strip and retain your existing ones. You'll need to swap the glass over as well (to retain the security markings). The leather design/pattern/grain differs as well on post 2001 cars.

The door cards themselves are held in place with a combination of retaining screws and plastic poppers. The latter are best removed with one of these handy tools.....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I'd better answer before the suspense kills you!

I had a donor car that I had to get rid of as I was getting another one in and the doors were in very decent shape as was the bonnet so all have been safely removed.

I didn't remove the wiring loom though...:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts