Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bad news is, I'm changing jobs and have to take a company car with my new job, so I'm going to have to sell my Giulietta after only 5 months. Dread to think how much I'm going to lose on her.
On the bright side, The Giulietta is on my company car list, so guess what I'll be getting?
I'm probably going to go from my current 170 diesel to the MA, because the monthly cost, including tax is about £40 cheaper. From reading the boards, I reckon I'll lose about 5-6 mpg (I get about 41 mpg from the JTDM, driving 100% dynamic), but have the fun of a petrol engine again.
I'm thinking about options. Ideally, I'm on a budget as taking a big basic salary decrease to take the new job, but I'd also like to correct some of the things I'd have liked on my current car so opinions please.......

1) I've got the Alfa tom-tom. Great unit, but slightly rattly on the dash and gets on my nerves taking the adaptor socket in and out. Should I stick with the tom-tom or go full sat-nav? It'll cost me about £30 per month extra, about a grand over the 3 year term.
2) I've been a touch disappointed with the half leather. Anyone have full leather and is it worth it. About £40 per month extra.
3) I didn't get the brembos and always kind of regretted it. Are they worth it?
4) I got 5 hole alloys and love them, but they are a sh*t to clean. Was considering the 18 turbines or even the standard 17"ers. Anyone got any pics they can post to help me?

Finally, any other must haves from people's experience. My original spec was reversing sensors, tom-tom port, 18" 5 holes, Veloce spec in Alfa red. All views appreciated to help me make my choice

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Have you thought about asking the new company to delay your entry to the scheme for a year and make a payment instead, on the condition you do enter the scheme?

I had a friend in a similar position, and was able to negotiate an allowance rather than loose a lot of money selling a car they just bought, just an idea.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have the full leather option and i think it is great.
I would say the Brembos make the 5 hole alloys look the dogs and i would have ordered them if they were not standard.
With regard to the cleaning, i would think the 5 hole alloys would be much easier to clean than the turbines.
The turbines do take a few mins each to do.
It's a shame your new place doesn't do a car allowance scheme. That way the company could pay for your current one and you wouldn't loose a penny :(
I agree with your comments on the tomtom. It is a pain to keep taking it in and out, but i think the touch screen interface is easier than the inbuilt one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got car allowance at the moment so it's my present company who are effectively funding my giulietta, but the new company will not pay car allowance. Apparently they withdrew it 5 or 6 years ago. It's a shame as a company car isn't at all tax efficient for me. The only option I have is to not take a car at all and get no allowance which doesn't seem to make sense.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I can't believe they're forcing you to sell a perfectly good new car. That's insanity. I'd question the type of company you're joining.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The BREMBO's are complete waste of time if you get the 18" multi spoke as you can hardly see them. As Alfred TI says they look the best on the 5 holes as I have. I think they are really easy to clean if you keep on top of them.
Have you thought of the TCT 170 as it comes under the 120 grams lower tax bracket if you are going the company car route.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The bad news is, I'm changing jobs and have to take a company car with my new job, so I'm going to have to sell my Giulietta after only 5 months. Dread to think how much I'm going to lose on her.
On the bright side, The Giulietta is on my company car list, so guess what I'll be getting?
I'm probably going to go from my current 170 diesel to the MA, because the monthly cost, including tax is about £40 cheaper. From reading the boards, I reckon I'll lose about 5-6 mpg (I get about 41 mpg from the JTDM, driving 100% dynamic), but have the fun of a petrol engine again.
I'm thinking about options. Ideally, I'm on a budget as taking a big basic salary decrease to take the new job, but I'd also like to correct some of the things I'd have liked on my current car so opinions please.......

1) I've got the Alfa tom-tom. Great unit, but slightly rattly on the dash and gets on my nerves taking the adaptor socket in and out. Should I stick with the tom-tom or go full sat-nav? It'll cost me about £30 per month extra, about a grand over the 3 year term.
2) I've been a touch disappointed with the half leather. Anyone have full leather and is it worth it. About £40 per month extra.
3) I didn't get the brembos and always kind of regretted it. Are they worth it?
4) I got 5 hole alloys and love them, but they are a sh*t to clean. Was considering the 18 turbines or even the standard 17"ers. Anyone got any pics they can post to help me?

Finally, any other must haves from people's experience. My original spec was reversing sensors, tom-tom port, 18" 5 holes, Veloce spec in Alfa red. All views appreciated to help me make my choice
Having experience of both engines you will lose a heck of a lot more than 5-6 mpg with an MA!! The 170 Jtdm's are actually astonishingly good mpg and genuinely fast too.

Personally I much prefer the classier turbines over boy racer 5 holers.....you can see quite a bit of red brembo through them :cool:

The leather option at £1800 extra is impossible to justify. You already get half leather plus the micro-fibre is designed to last and be easy to clean (most customers reason for opting for full leather).

Alfa red is an excellent choice!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd question taking a job for less money ... but of course I dont know the background!

I also question why people get so hooked up on Sat Nav... but I'm turning into a luddite despite working in IT. I just need to look at a map and jot down some directions ... takes a couple of minutes... If you really get stuck then most phones will show google maps and your current location... at no extra cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The BREMBO's are complete waste of time if you get the 18" multi spoke as you can hardly see them. As Alfred TI says they look the best on the 5 holes as I have. I think they are really easy to clean if you keep on top of them.
Have you thought of the TCT 170 as it comes under the 120 grams lower tax bracket if you are going the company car route.
So good brakes (BREMBO) are a waste of time if you can't see them!! Surely this is the argument for style over function. Iphone anybody:wow:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I thought I'd get around mid thirties mpg from reading the forum- are the MAs that much worse?
4500 miles and I'm getting 36 mpg pretty constantly and that's not taking it easy all the time, worse than I initially hoped but not too bad. And diesel is nearly 10p more a litre round my way at the moment...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have just ordered a company Giulietta. Full leather and sat nav are difficult to justify on a short lease. The wife will not have a car without heated seats, women love them but I don't get it! Brembos I tested and they are a bargain. I am having the 5 hole alloys. Reasonably sensible but then I blew it by ordering the Bose stereo which is too expensive, however I only have time to listen to music in the car these days so I indulged myself.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I do not exactly understand how this scheme works there in UK? The employer takes you certain amount of sallery and pays the car with it or what?
Hi Cartier,
There are a few ways that company cars work in the uk,
One is a car allowance, where the employer gives you a monthly allowance to buy, insure, tax and maintain a car. This way the car belongs to you but there are usually rules about engine size, fuel type Number of doors etc.

Another is where the company supply you with a car. This is usually fully maintained, insured & taxed.
There is usually a list of cars you have to choose from.
You then pay a tax out of your salary based on car value etc.

The advantage of the car allowance is you get more choice of cars, but if you move company or loose your job you have to either keep up the payments or sell the car.
The advantage of the typical company car scheme is the fully maintained part together with if you change or loose your job you just hand the car back, but it can be expensive in tax and if you have lost your job, you will probably need to get alternative transport to get to interviews etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bad news is he already has a nearly new Giulietta that he will now have to sell and end up a few thousand pound out of pocket.
Spot on mate. My 170 bhp diesel with a couple of toys was around £24k in June. I reckon I'll be lucky to get £18k for it. A grand a month plus finance payments - bargain!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Chris what are bad news? You will get new Giulietta? Thats bad???
agmac petrol or diesel? TCT?
I went for the 1.4 Turbo veloce as I got fed up with the diesel low revs, I'm also a biker and like to use revs and gears. Diesels are nice and sensible. The 1.4 turbo is more sensible than a 2.0 litre petrol. I am fed up with being totally sensible.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts