Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to look at a GTV tomorrow, perfect spec and cheap as its cat D. The car has had a recon engine, new radiator, new bushes, SS exhaust.

The lady has just phoned to tell me she got it wet and had it off the road for a month. It didnt start but she changed a spark plug and it worked.

The engine light has come on and the computer says cylinder 2 misfiring which she believes needs a spark plug. The light has now gone off, but she has let me know.

Could it just be a spark plug or can the engine be ruined getting wet. I cant take the car with the light on hoping it is just a spark plug.

Any ideas plaese

G

·
What does she mean by getting it wet? Did it inhale puddle water?

Be suspicious of the spark plug story - they should last for ages (60K?, 80K?) and then all need changing together. Individual plugs shouldn't just fail. I assume it had a new set when the engine was rebuilt?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she just said wet, i guess it means deep puddles and then let it stand for a month. It had new plugs with the engine which was fitted by Auto lusso .She was very pleasant and didnt have to tell me. She has had loads of problems and is in despair. Headgasket went after a few days, the radiator, then recon engne, then the bushes. She has spent £53500 since June.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd clear up this comment of "Got wet" What does this mean? Mines outside now and it's raining, but it'll start & run ok.(it ****** better start & run!)

If it's sucked in water to the engine through the intake, it could have hydrolocked, ie the piston has tried to compress the water in there and water won't compress, the piston hits it like solid steel and bends the con rod.

Or it could be just a case of some numpty jet washing the engine and soaking everything.

It's hard enough buying a used car without buying one you know to have a problem, and there's plenty out there. What's the price, you could end up with a cat D car needing a engine, is it cheap enough to send to a garage and have it looked at, repaired and still be worth anything near what you've spent? Is the seller willing to repair it before you buy, if not why? Because it costs to much?
If it's running like this I'd wouldn't waste the bus fare to view it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she just said wet during the floods. It has an induction with the hose from the front, so i guess it may of got the engine wet.

it is a stunning car, going cheap, really wanted it. Didnt think there was anyhting else to go wrong with it

Alfa Romeo : Alpha Romeo GTV 2.0

·
Registered
170 Posts
Take a deep breath, ring her back and offer her £1500 as you suspect it wants an engine rebuild, as it's sucked in water and bent at the least one con rod.
That'll give you a grand to sort it out.
The least she'll say is to go forth and mulitple!
But to be honest, there are plenty out there, if you want Teledials, you can pick them up for around £60 a wheel from Autolusso, red leather wasn't that popular, but they are out there, plus you can sell what came off yours.
Sitting in red leather on the drive going nowhere cos the engines knackered ain't my idea of driving.

G

·
she just said wet during the floods. It has an induction with the hose from the front, so i guess it may of got the engine wet.
it is a stunning car, going cheap, really wanted it. Didnt think there was anyhting else to go wrong with it
Alfa Romeo : ***** Romeo GTV 2.0
It looks nice, but like Goudy, I'd pass. £2.5K is not particularly cheap for a TS anyway, especially a former write-off with an undiagnosed engine problem. Run away!

·
Registered
170 Posts
To tell you the truth, I've had my eye on that one a while, if it finished without selling, I was gonna have a stab at it for around the 2500 mark and flog Mrs Goudy's Garlic Turd.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You get nothing if you don't try.
You need to remember a couple of things,

Wait, it's hard to sell cars at the best of times, dreamers, tyre kickers, silly offers, test pilots etc, if it's been up for sale awhile and he's had nothing but dreamers offering green sheild stamps, he's ready for a serious offer.

Be forthright, phone, don't mess around on email with offers, chatting on the phone tells him you're in the market.

Know what it is you're buying, what's the guide price, service-cam belt every 36k, let him know you know these things, you need to convice him this is what it is and should be like, this is what it's worth.

If he's not wanting to move on the phone and it's local, veiw it, compliment the car, but also point stuff out, if he thinks you're ripping it apart he'll get defensive, dislike you and clam up.

If all this fails, wait some more, ring back in a week, if it's still there he might be coming around to your side, if it's gone, there's always another around the corner!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately i am low on budget as i am having my eyes lasered. I have £2500 to spend. A local alfa garage have a 156 veloce for sale so will have a look tomorrow, but the GTV is much prettier.

I previously had a MR2 turbo (350bhp) and a S6 so i am used to having fast cars. I just want a car that i want to look after and polish.

I am also looking at this. Nice colour and spec but will need a cam belt change

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260539447337&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
172 Posts
the car in the OP has been on sale for a while. £2,500 is high given that it's a cat D - lots of people will avoid them unless they can buy them at a very cheap price. Either negotiate a better deal or buy one that is not an insurance write-off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts