Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fault with my 164 cloverleaf I believe it is an Alfa control unit but no idea where it is! I do believe it is at the rear of he dash somewhere but help needed to pinpoint it please.
The fault I have with it is leaving the low oil pressure light on,high water temp warning light the low coolant and oil level warning lamp all are on from start and stay on it is a 1990 164 green cloverleaf model. If anyone can help it would be appreciated as I have searched for this and replaced numerous sensors with no luck.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think it's the largest of 4 black plastic boxes under the dash, passenger side, immediately behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good luck with your Cloverleaf. It looks like we have the only two remaining 1990 Cloverleafs in the UK. ALFA ROMEO 164 GREEN CLOVERLEAF - How Many Left?

I drove mine for the first time in 5 years yesterday :) Only as far as moving it from the front to the back of my house. Have spent the last few weeks bringing it up to temp every couple of days, checking fluid levels, replacing fuses, reseating relays, etc. Mine is mechanically very sound though body needs some TLC (rear arches, inner door sill, full respray required), and need to go through and clean up all the electrical connections.

Where in South Yorkshire are you? I work just off M1 J30 (live Loughborough)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I'd caution against bringing the car up to temp every few days. My 164 had been laid up for a number of years and the previous owner had "run it up ever week or so". When I got the car, there had been so much condensation in the top of the engine that the backs of the cam lobes were rusty! The oil stank of petrol too, and was really watery. I don't think he'd run it until the thermostat opened and the fans cut in, so mine was an extreme example, but without the engine doing any decent amount of work, the oil may never get hot enough to evaporate off the excess petrol that gets past the piston rings each cold start.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks, will bare that in mind.

Without hijacking this thread, I was bringing it fully up to temp to check the thermostat/radiator/cooling fan/etc was OK and to bleed any air out. A bit nervous about leaks (in particular fuel!) though most of the hoses under the bonnet were replaced in the year or so before I last used the car (including a silicon kit posted over from the Hi Performance store in the States for the vacuum/coolant/washer, and the flexible fuel lines, and there was an earlier Samco kit for the larger coolant hoses to the rad).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts