Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl wants a new car. She currently drives the humongous Seicento :eek: and is in dire need of something better: a 2002 147 1.6 with 28.000 miles (or 45.000 km) on the dial or a brand new Grande Punto. Costs about the same.

Anyone care to tell her why not the Fiat? (or maybe not the 147 :rolleyes: )
THNX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,637 Posts
Joost said:
My girl wants a new car. She currently drives the humongous Seicento :eek: and is in dire need of something better: a 2002 147 1.6 with 28.000 miles (or 45.000 km) on the dial or a brand new Grande Punto. Costs about the same.

Anyone care to tell her why not the Fiat? (or maybe not the 147 :rolleyes: )
THNX


they are both fiats .....like :lol:


but i would tell her to go for the fiat punto as it is a brand new car and it looks quite nice also.... :D

the alfa is also nice but would need a bit of money spending on it in 8000 miles as it will need new timing belt and tensioners and possibly a variator also :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,865 Posts
mr.orange said:
the alfa is also nice but would need a bit of money spending on it in 8000 miles as it will need new timing belt and tensioners and possibly a variator also :eek:
Mileage isn't important for a new cambelt in this particular case, but age is. The 147 in question is from 2002 and should get a new cambelt plus tensioners at delivery. That should be part of the deal when buying.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
716 Posts
Grande Punto, every time. It's a newer car that benefits from 5 years more development than the 147.

And I bet that if you ignore the badge, it's a better car. It looks bloody good too, even if the interior isn't as upmarket as the 147.

DC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Plus, doesn't the punto come with a 4 year warranty and AA membership? The 147 being second hand will probably only get 6 months from the dealer.

On the other hand the 147 is a nicer car all round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
Sorry guys, 147 every time - if your head rules your heart its a toyota, if its something you'll still love in two years time its an Alfa. The Punto is great and for all our sakes I hope they sell a boat load, but if it was my choice it would have to be the Alfa :D
 
G

·
The new new punto is based on the vaux corsa, so I would go 147 from that point of view alone.

Plus depending on the Punto engine option, its not going to be as quick as the 147...The small engined cars are always going to feel underpowered in comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,591 Posts
Some simple question sto ask yourself before you make a decision....
Do you really like this girlfriend ? ;)
If so ;
Does she have a preference at all between the two cars
Would she be happy with "second hand" or does she secretly want "new"
Will she blame you if it goes wrong :eek: ;) etc

Decisions, decisions ;) :D :cheese:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts
ADE said:
The new new punto is based on the vaux corsa, so I would go 147 from that point of view alone.

Plus depending on the Punto engine option, its not going to be as quick as the 147...The small engined cars are always going to feel underpowered in comparison.
I'd go for the punto, it looks good inside and out, its new, my last punto was pretty cool, reliable and the best built car I have ever owned, cost bugger all to run and could out pace my cousins 1.6 TS 147 despite being a 1.2 16v Sporting, the Punto also had interior space on a par with the 147 despite being the smaller. handling wasn't stunning but it was a great city car which is what I bought it for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Joost,

Actually, on the pictures you show, the Fiat looks better (equipped) than the Alfa.

(flame suit on)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,468 Posts
Fortunately the humongous Seicento looks like one of the few cars that wouldn't make a 1.6 Alfa 147 feel slow!
Depending on the Grande Punto she gets (can she live with diesel?), the Fiat option would get her a quicker car as well as a better warranty and stronger 'new' smell. Might have a cheaper interior though; that's one of the reasons I wouldn't consider the otherwise-interesting '99-'03 Nuova Punto HGT as a next car.

I agree with Stori for once - be careful letting your girlfriend follow your advice incase you get it wrong! Be vague and let her make the decision.
You are lucky to have a girlfriend who can drive a manual so she won't be forced to risk a Sillyspeed 147!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,865 Posts
Personally I find the Grande Punto a gorgeous car from the outside, but Fiats always have that 'cheap feel' over them. The way the materials look like in the interior, the sound when closing a door and so on makes Fiat always feel like cheap cars. I have no problem with that on a Panda, but I think I won't like it on a Punto and more expensive models. Mind you, this is based on previous Fiat models (including the last Punto) and I haven't judged the new Punto yet. The big plus is that the Punto will be a new car with two years warranty and the 147 isn't, simple as that.

If you follow the head, go for the Punto. If you follow the heart, go for the 147.
 
G

·
Choosing between Fiat or Alfa is like choosing between BMW or Skoda..very different appeals and qualities. You are not only choosing a car, you also choose an image. In the end i would always pick an Alfa over a Fia, even if it meant getting a preowned Alfa vs a new Fiat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
whatever it is, a fiat is a fiat. the 147 has a way better image as the facelift has not quite created the stir the old one had. fiat also has so many nicknames. two of them that come to my mind are-

'sounds like an italian swear word'
'Failure In Automotive Technology'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
its down to your girlfriends personal choice, both are girly cars, what i mean is theres a lot of 147's and punto's owned by females.

my wife got a new punto earlier this year and although its been just fine i'm sure it will be traded against a new Grande when they are available in the uk (sept i believe)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
trento said:
whatever it is, a fiat is a fiat. the 147 has a way better image as the facelift has not quite created the stir the old one had. fiat also has so many nicknames. two of them that come to my mind are-

'sounds like an italian swear word'
'Failure In Automotive Technology'
Fix It Again Tomorrow :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Peter K said:
Choosing between Fiat or Alfa is like choosing between BMW or Skoda..very different appeals and qualities. You are not only choosing a car, you also choose an image. In the end i would always pick an Alfa over a Fia, even if it meant getting a preowned Alfa vs a new Fiat.
Funny you should mention Skoda. What about a new Skoda Fabia? My Dad has one and its build quality is bullet proof. The ride is quite firm though. I think there is a sporty version. Not so sure about the build quality of a BMW!
 
G

·
superguinness said:
Funny you should mention Skoda. What about a new Skoda Fabia? My Dad has one and its build quality is bullet proof. The ride is quite firm though. I think there is a sporty version. Not so sure about the build quality of a BMW!
A Skoda is a very good car these days. Just trying to draw a parallel. Despite the recent excellent quality, Skoda still carries a stigmata..Same as Fiat. BMW has very good build quality too IMO.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top