Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have had a 147 1.6 which got written off by a skip lorry. Bit short of cash but saw a 156 03 1.9jtd with 106,000 miles on it. I am a mechanical idiot..are these engines ok for over 100K? If so, what should I look for if I go to buy?

Thanks

Steve:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello!

I have had a 147 1.6 which got written off by a skip lorry. Bit short of cash but saw a 156 03 1.9jtd with 106,000 miles on it. I am a mechanical idiot..are these engines ok for over 100K? If so, what should I look for if I go to buy?

Thanks

Steve:confused::confused::confused:
106000 is nothing to worry about

P

·
0 Posts
Listen for a healthy turbo whistle,

not too much soot on hard throttle openings,

and at 100+k, very likely ready for top or bottom intercooler hose unless they've already been done

you don't want a dash board like a Christmas Tree with warning lights and fault codes, and the 16v is certainly more sensitive to this than the 10 and 20 valve engines in my experience,

but mechanically, unless you hear anything obvious, there should not be an awful lot to worry about at 106K, but it would be nice to see a history of Cambelt and tensioner, including water pump, possibly a clutch too would be a bonus?

apart from that, go for a good mixed drive, work the motor and turbo hard if you can, but also give the front suspension something to think about, as with all 156's, top and bottom wishbones joints, bottom ball joints etc etc can be very prone to being a bit creaky, squeaky, knock and even bang , but having a heavy diesel lump up front only exagertaes this weakness.

hope this helps, and good luck mate,

they are a good drive if nicely looked after

shrew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Listen for a healthy turbo whistle,

not too much soot on hard throttle openings,

and at 100+k, very likely ready for top or bottom intercooler hose unless they've already been done

you don't want a dash board like a Christmas Tree with warning lights and fault codes, and the 16v is certainly more sensitive to this than the 10 and 20 valve engines in my experience,

but mechanically, unless you hear anything obvious, there should not be an awful lot to worry about at 106K, but it would be nice to see a history of Cambelt and tensioner, including water pump, possibly a clutch too would be a bonus?

apart from that, go for a good mixed drive, work the motor and turbo hard if you can, but also give the front suspension something to think about, as with all 156's, top and bottom wishbones joints, bottom ball joints etc etc can be very prone to being a bit creaky, squeaky, knock and even bang , but having a heavy diesel lump up front only exagertaes this weakness.

hope this helps, and good luck mate,

they are a good drive if nicely looked after

shrew
Thanks to all that answered, especially Petrolhead. Very useful.

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have 1.9Jtdm with 195000 on the clock still goes lile it had 50000. Look for past service records if they are good ie cambelt waterpump then should be ok - if you buy it then dont skip on service or parts find a good indi and they will keep on going - many threads on hear to testify to that

Also have one with 96000 no issues what so ever

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts