Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know anybody who can switch of my air bag light ? I live in the warrington area but dont want to pay the stupid dealer prices to reset this
The car is a 147 on an 02 plate bloody can of de-icer rolled under the seat and knocked the plug ...gutted

Thanks....John (newbee)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
You need to find out why it came on first, if you don't cure the fault the light will just come on again. Having said that the problem is most likely the connection under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Bucco: you can do this yourself. Download FiatECUScan (FES) from here: FiatECUScan - Fiat, Alfa, Lancia ECU Reader / Scanner

Load it onto a laptop.

Buy a lead set from here for £36 delivered:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-FIAT-DIAGNOSTIC-LEAD-CABLE-FIATECUSCAN-KKL-VAG-/250964783106?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a6eaab002

Use the blue main lead with the red adaptor and connect to your car. You may find that it doesn't connect first time as the pins on the car can get some surface corrosion on them. The solution to that is to unplug and replug it a few times at the dash board.

The connector on the car is in the fuse box. The fuses can be accessed by unscrewing 2 cross head screws that are just below and either side of the steering wheel. The connector is above the fuses; you will have to get your head down there to see where it is but I can do it by feel now. The widest part of the plug is at the bottom.

Go on, you can do it and you will be able to reset it when it happens again and read all other fault codes and reset most. The free software does a lot and is not as restricted as you would expect.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I didn't read it fully, but in my defense we have just had four rockets fired at us so I've been hiding on the floor!

L

·
0 Posts
Does anyone out there know anybody who can switch of my air bag light ? I live in the warrington area but dont want to pay the stupid dealer prices to reset this
The car is a 147 on an 02 plate bloody can of de-icer rolled under the seat and knocked the plug ...gutted

Thanks....John (newbee)
You need to find out why it came on first, if you don't cure the fault the light will just come on again. Having said that the problem is most likely the connection under the passenger seat.
+1 , didn't you read the last line.... :eek:

BTW i thought you weren't allowed to give hints as to your location

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar problem. Got the leads and software then connected to the OBD system as described above.

The thing is you won't be able to clear the error until you've fixed the issue with the airbag connection. I just got under the passenger seat, pushed the connection in and tied it for good measure.

The light then went off after a few engine restarts, there wasn't even the need to clear the error using FiatECUScan, though the software did help with the diagnosis and contains all sorts of other interesting information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean turn it off . Ive sorted the problem now but have the light on
M.O.T in march now know its an mot failure
Thanks

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
bucco: I think McK is stating that his light went off after a few engine restarts. It is possible that after a number of successful reads that the ECU extinguishes the light. It didn't appear to do that on my son's car but after resetting with FES it has stayed off.

Go on - get FES. It isn't hard to use and will pay for itself many times over. If you are nervous then get a mate to do it for you.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
You may need to install this software driver. I needed to on both WinXP and Vista. I don't know about Win7 as i am not a 7 user.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20814_WHQL_Certified.zip

When you connect the KKL lead to your PC and before connecting to your car under "device manager" you will have:-

Ports (COM & LPT)
- USB Serial Port (COMx)

x is a number between 2 and 9.

Change the driver for the one above.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
It may not come as a surprise that leads sold to the public do not have airbag authority !

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
rarebear: I am not sure what you mean by "airbag authority" but my set, using the red adaptor, will allow me to reset the airbag warning light. I have had the set a while now (they came from ebay and I don't recall which retailer) so don't know if newer sets have changed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think he means turn off the light if the problem is still detected by the ecu. when i connected mine it was reading 4-5 errors, 4 i could clear immediately which i assume were errors logged at some point by the ECU and then self corrected, but 1 couldn't be cleared even with FiatECUScan and the red lead, until the actual issue was fixed, probably for good reason!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I mean turn it off . Ive sorted the problem now but have the light on
M.O.T in march now know its an mot failure
Thanks

MOT Fail AFTER April 2012 ... ;)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
i think he means does not have 'connection' for airbags :thumbs:
thats exactly right ! it is even against the law to handle airbag issues without a pyrotechnic license.. check youtube for the accidents involving tinkering with airbags !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts