Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys haven’t been on for a while but just as I was to begin getting my gta back on the road getting misfire. Some background the car has been off the road for a while but have been giving it a little drive now and then, thinking of the problem now I do remember feeling a very slight misfire on starting in first gear but it always disappeared and drove absolutely fine.
But it then suddenly developed a very apparent misfire cylinder misfire 1 and 3 that doesn’t go away.
Changed the coils on 1 and 3 and all the spar plugs as I thought it’s been sitting around. At first it seemed to have fixed the problem, but has returned again.
I checked the codes and it’s saying
Misfire cylinder 3
Also p0141 (02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 2)
Also p1135 which I couldn’t find in the manual.
Just looking for ideas of what can cause misfire.
Compression was ok, very slightly down on 3 but not a lot.
The car at 40k now 90k had full headgasket all valves replaced etc after cambelt failure.
Mechanic said he will check swap fuel injector, but i have never seen injector problems.
My fuel relay fuses in front of the battery has been missing the fuse cover for a while and I remember seeing someone mention the sensor is related to that fuse, it looks ok, but when I go back to garage give it a clean.
Last thing I was thinking was could a weak battery be the cause?
Sorry for all the questions, just stressing me out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mines had similar problems after sitting for a while spent 4 hours on Monday with a mobile mechanic friend stripping it down and getting it going hopefully found the cause it was the red fuel pump relay next to the battery had to take the cover apart it to see if it was working but it wouldn’t engage.

Foolishly left the battery connected and it’d Gone flat ,the battery fatal codes logged took ages to clear the immobiliser and vdc systems went a bit mad so satisfying when it roared in to life though.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Olly I sort of mentioned this area mechanic thought it would either start or not
Which I sort of understand buy have heard the fuel relay causing this problem, what exactly did you do? Did you replace anything or just strip reassemble, I'm ordering a new battery as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only thing I replaced was that relay which I had bought ages ago took me ages to find, took all the plugs out and cleaned them up they were pretty soaked in fuel only been in about 1k so just put them back in amazing how quick you get the rear 3 in and out with another pair of hands. then tested and cleaned every fuse or relay individually under the bonnet that is linked to ignition or fuel the only one which wouldn’t work was that red one.
My car would just turn over but not fire and MES on my laptop just kept saying “no faults detected” even though it wouldn’t start it’s only after we replaced the relay and got it running that I got all the error messages pop up, had a few misfire codes and the battery fatal codes which all eventually cleared once it was running.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have similar problem.
Also the car has been sitting a while before I started it. At least 3 months.
Battery was dead. Bought a new replacment one, but I used it on my 159 TI 2.0jtdm. It is my daily and also didnt start in one cold morning. Altough multimeter showed 12.0V ... but I guess 159 has a lot of electrics that need constant 12.4V to turn on.
But I used that old 159 battery on 156 GTA and it started! GTA old battery showed 3.5V :D

It ran rugh at first and stuttered about 15min, but then it seemed to settle down and I went for a drive.
But suddenly the noise changed and sounded more like a V8 than V6. No errors on dashboard, at least then. As I was cruising at town speed, I didnt notice lack of power as well. But around 2min later after the sound appeared- the engine warning light also started to flash and then there was noticable stutter again. I pulled over and I have a bluetooth OBD reader connected all the time and an Torque app in phone. So i checked the code.
It said misfire on cylinder 6 and a weblink
P0306 DTC: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

I first tought about the induction hose to throttlebody, as I had to detach it to replace battery, maybe there was vacum leak as the app showed that vacum was jumping around between 14.0-15.9...
Next day I went over the hose and it seemed to be connected, but when started the awful rough idle was back.

So any ideas?
Spark plugs were replaced 60000 km ago, it may be time to change those?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just update and any advice. so changed spark plugs and coils first time round and things improved a lot, but then misfire returned, when I went to see the car the misfire was quite bad in my opinion.
So I went a few weeks ago to swap rear injectors to front, to rule them out. The result was a big improvement, still a very slight misfire on the same cylinder 3 so it never moved to the front, but the dismantling and reconnecting seemed to have helped. Now it seems to misfire only at idle and low revs, once revs are higher it seems to have full power and hasn’t got worse over time. Just looking for some other ideas to rule out. Mechanic thinking towards valve? But any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same problem after done my timing belt.
Is the mass is good? The wire from the coilpack can be damaged too, so maybe you need to check it. I will inspect my wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here guys. After timing belt change my 147gta started to run rough on idle. Than suddenly the coil on 3rd cylinder failed so replaced on 3rd and 6th and all went quite ok, but still the idle is rough. I have read some threads with bad setting (or more slight misalignment) of timing. Anyone has experience with this? No noticeable leaks anywhere, but did not properly check yet, since it is weird that it occured only after timing belt change (was done with proper locking though)

·
Registered
2 Posts
So problem solved. Apparently there was a water in the spark hole. Dunno why, but most probably from washing the car (bonnet close), have to figure out how the water get in. When pulling the coil out, was quite a pop sound and lots of resistance. Dried it out, removed the cover, checked on the timing (just to be sure), and than assemble everything. In the process I also noticed some cables needed to tape so did that as well and perform the throttle body reset at the end. The car started rough, but after a while all settled down and now rides without problems:) has anyone had the same problem with water? If I will be cleaning the engine with water I would understand, but this is weird;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts