Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 147 TS Lusso reg 2002 with 104,000 miles on the clock (yes I know that is alot). My problem is that the Low oil pressure light came on whilst driving and stayed on. So I checked the oil and it had no oil indications, so I put in 3 litres of oil. I drove about 400 miles and the low oil pressure light started to come on when I turned a corner at low speed, but went off when I sped up. I checked the oil again the next morning and it said I had no oil ( I checked twice to make sure) So I moved the car back to see if I had a leak. Then for some reason I checked the oil again and it said I had full oil.

So I drove it, got to my parents (220miles away) and my dad said he would do an oil change. He emptied the oil tank and collected about 1 litre of oil and said I obviously had no oil.

So my car has burnt about 2/3 litres of oil in 600 miles or so.

There is no smoke coming from the back, the engine sounds fine and there is no leak. I m hoping someone here could maybe give me a clue on what is going on or maybe I m just going mad.

The low oil pressure light is not staying on when I speed up the car!

Very confused.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Oh dear...a couple of things. Twin Spark engines can use about 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles even when new. The difference between the full and low marks on the dip stick is about 1 litre. The TS engine sump is about 4 litres (maybe 5, can't quite remember), so they are sensitive to running low, and obviously you need to check them quite regularly. I believe that the oil pressure warning lights come on at about 5lbs/ft, by this time some damage is almost certain to have been done to the engine, although it may not be immediately obvious. Revving and engine will increase oil pressure, (hence the light going out) which is why you need to know what pressure the engine gives at a given rpm. The fact the light is coming on at all though is indicative of a problem. Also, when you checked the oil did you make sure the car was on level ground (even a slight hill can give a false reading).

So, it sounds to me as if the car has been run to nearly empty on oil. Putting 3 litres in may not have actually given you a full reading (indeed, you might still have been short of 1 or 2 litres), and you could have easily burnt off 0.5 litres in you 400 miles journey. Travelling 220miles with the oil under or just on the minimum level could have caused further problems The fact you've probably burnt about 1.5 litres more than one would expect makes me think that oil is getting past the pistons somehow. I think your best course of action is to fill the car to the max level with oil, and check it on a daily basis to get a better idea of how much oil you're using. Keep it topped up to near the maximum level. You might be lucky and have escaped doing any serious harm, but if the car starts sounding funny I'm afraid it will be an engine rebuild.

I've just noticed from your Hello post that your car is only 4 years old, and therefore has done over 25,000 miles per year. This means it was probably a company car, and the previous owner may have neglected basic maintenance, such as checking the oil. How many miles did you do in it before checking it?

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you are loosing that much oil you have an oil leak. I can't believe that you are burning 2 litres over 220 miles. If you are then the engine is done for. Have you hit any speed bumps hard lately?

BTW - its entirely likely that you have seriously damaged the engine anyway.....

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Forgot to ask, what type of oil did you put in? If the engine is worn and you've put ultra thin stuff in you could possibly burn off that much, although Dave is right, you should look for leaks. You could try getting a compression test done, although to be honest I don't think this will really tell you anything more than you probably already know. If I were you I'd just keep my eye on the oil level and start saving for an engine re-build. Try not to rev it too hard and you might get a few months use out of it, maybe longer. Sorry for the bad news. :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.

I ve had the car for 6 days and checked the oil when I got it.

I checked the oil level on a flat surface and also it was a cream surface where it sat overnight, so I m sure that there is no oil leak. Like said already it is a possibility that I didn t put enough oil in it to start with. I have to admit that when I checked it when I got it, it was just above the low mark, and my previous car didn t burn oil so I didn t check again till the light came on. I haven t been thrashing my car so hopefully I haven t done any serious damage, coz I don t think I could afford an engine rebuild. I would have thought any serious problems would have been caught in the servicing, as it has had a full service history before I bought it.

I was using 15W40 but have today now reading this site bought the right oil, draining the sump, flushed the system and refilled to max and now will check every day to gauge a loss.

I m hoping I haven t done any damage, there is no smoke and the engine doesn t smell and as I ve said before it is not leaking so maybe it because i didn t put enough in to start with.

Thanks guys, keep your fingers crossed that my car likes me!!!:(

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Well, its certainly promising that you put 15w40 in, as that's thinner than it should be...won't cause a problemm in itself but would go part way to explaining why it burnt so much oil. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
Well, its certainly promising that you put 15w40 in, as that's thinner than it should be...won't cause a problemm in itself but would go part way to explaining why it burnt so much oil.
No, 15W40 is thicker when cold than both 10w40 and 10w60.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I m not sure whether I said that it was only having the message coming on when I had driven for 100+ miles each time.

When cold the message was no where to be seen.

Hey ho I ll just keep the old fingers crossed, I d hate to think I have bought a dud car and managed to keep it a grand total of 6 days.

:rant: :( :eek:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Did you buy from a salesman (doesn't need to be a dealer) or was it a completely private sale. If it was the former you need to take the car back. Regardless of warantee nonesense they have a legal obligation to provide a product that is fit for purpose even second hand.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When you check the oil,read the side of the dipstick that is facing the engine,the angle of the dipstick will give a higher reading on the other side(facing the radiator).Also leave the car for at least a couple of hours before checkingh,preferbly overnight.
Good luck and keep us posted.:)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
David C said:
No, 15W40 is thicker when cold than both 10w40 and 10w60.
Yes, that's a good point :)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Little Miss said:
When cold the message was no where to be seen.
Oil is thicker when its colder, so will give a higher pressure reading then when hot. The fact its only coming on after driving for some time does mean there is some hope that its not too badly worn.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
daveg360 said:
Did you buy from a salesman (doesn't need to be a dealer) or was it a completely private sale. If it was the former you need to take the car back. Regardless of warantee nonesense they have a legal obligation to provide a product that is fit for purpose even second hand.
The difficulty here is that the car has been run low on oil. If the oil was on the minimum level even a new engine could have low oil after having covered 400+ miles in a 6 week period.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
You mention a "cream surface". Take the filler cap off. Does it look like a coating of "mayonnaise" underneath? Can you or dad remember if there was a bit of a white-grey look to the oil you drained off?

Check the rad while it's cold too. Is the water still the right level and is it still "clean" and anti-freeze couloured?

If yes to the first and no to the second, it sounds like head gasket failure. The more you drive it before repairing it, the more expensive damage you will do.:(

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
73GTVJim said:
You mention a "cream surface". (
I think she meant that the car had be parked on a cream colour surface, so she knew there were no oil leaks, but I could be wrong :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I meant it had been parked on a cream surface.

Ive had it 6 days, and I got it as a repossessed vehicle so it is a garage but it was I suppose a sold as seen private jobby.

The oil was as black as the ace of spades when it came out.

We think that maybe (yes it gets worse) that it never had its last service as the last service in it is hand written no stamp.

Also my dad says the the oil was very thin and had no stickyness to it.

At the moment it sounds fine, how long does it take if I ve done serious damage will it take to show?

I checked the oil with the engine cold and I checked both sides of the stick. But like I said I could just be going mad and mis seen it.

Thanks guys for your help. Little frantic my beautiful car doesn t like me and its only our one week anniversary. This could be my shortest relationship yet!!!!:(

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Little Miss said:
At the moment it sounds fine, how long does it take if I ve done serious damage will it take to show?
Its a bit difficult to give a precise figure as it all depends on a lot of different variables. I would have thought within 6 months any serious damage will be evident. With no proof of it having its last service I would take it to a garage to have them give it a service and you could ask their advice about the engine then (e.g., you could tell them its used quite a bit of oil). Again, a compression test might be useful to have done as it will give you some idea of the health of the engine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts