Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I am being paranoid but I would like to know if this is normal for a 2.2 Brera. :confused:

If I accelerate in 2nd and then lift off the accelerator I can hear a transmission type noise which is relative to the speed of the car, if I press the clutch in the noise stops. What I would like to know is should I get this looked at or is it normal?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
They all do it - very common and a character of the car (loads of threads & posts on here and consistent answers from dealers):(

·
Registered
102 Posts
I havenae introduced myself properly yet in the dedicated section :tut: , but thought I'd reply to this thread in the mean time...

I've had my spanking new Brera S 2.2 for a month now - and love it! Very proud of owning the best looking car on the road today IMHO :thumbs: More on that later!

One gripe - I have also noticed a cyclic, transmission-related noise from the engine which disappears when the clutch was depressed. Glad to hear someone has a similar issue with the same model.

At first I thought it was the prodrive exhaust doing something fancy in a resonance chamber, whilst there was less exhaust gas throughput under high giri but low throttle.

However, it's too consistent for that. I took her out for a thrashing (as much as possible down the A3 and round Battersea!) and it's most noticable in 2nd when easing off the gas, when the engine is nice and warm. It is definitely proportionate to the wheel speed, rather than revs. No noise when either clutch is depressed or freewheeling in neutral with clutch engaged.

I'm planning on taking her to the dealer this weekend to see if he a) admits to hearing anything, b) has an idea of what it might be, and c) is willing to get someone to look into it.

Any further thoughts GRM001?

SR - not sure if it's altogether normal - the three (yes 3) demo cars I tried didn't have the grumble - though only one was an 'S'. Could you point me in the direction of the relevant posts? I had a good dig, but couldn't find similar issues on recent model-years.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi AwB,

Great choice of car, were you like me and actually went in to buy a 2nd hand Brera and ended up buying an S?

I have been playing with this problem a bit more to try and understand what it might be, if you hold the car at about 3,500 rpm in 2nd the noise is very pronounced, if yours is the same it should be obvious to the dealer. Judging by similar threads it will probably turn out to be another characteristic.

Is your 2nd to 3rd gear change very notchy as well, another characteristic! along with the hesitation issue which I also have.

I also have a few rattles and squeaks, I've managed to sort a couple but the squeaking drivers seat is the most annoying and according to my dealer its the seatbelt stalk and they can't fix it. I still need to report some of this to ARUK.

Don't get me wrong I think that the car is great and can't stop washing and looking it I think that the wife is starting to get a bit jealous though.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
GRM001 - Great! Same story and very similar issues!

I indeed went to look at used and ended up going for the demo S 2.2! For me, the standardised spec made it easy, and I love the 8C-a-like wheels.

The dealer was great - they didn't budge on quoted cash price for the age and mileage but threw in a high-end pioneer sat nav and upgraded speakers. Well, you get what you can!

They replaced a faulty passenger seat, replaced a scuffed wheel, gave me new tyres and replaced a slightly worn gear-stick leather skirt thing - all without much arguement. So was very pleased.

So after all that customer pleasing it's no surprise that I learnt the dealership went into administration yesterday! :eek: Looks like I will be going somewhere else for the noise issue.

Your other niggles are the same as mine (I agree they are very minor)...

Sqeaky seat - I find a shift of seat hight or inclination sorts it temporarily. I might see if I can get a smidge of grease to it at some point if it gets on my nerves.

Notchy change from 2nd to 3rd - get that too, but not a real issue (yet). I get a bit of kickback from the stick sometimes if I'm too swift. For the moment I'm just letting the stick naturally centre before easing forward.

I will let you know when I get to a new dealer! Might escalate to ARUK also if things aren't fixable. So long as "characteristic" doesn't change to "catastrophic" at xxx mph on the M6 through Cumbria, I'll be happy!

Still look at the window on a sunny morning to get a good oggle and grin to myself!

Have you taken yours to anyone yet?

·
Registered
102 Posts
UPDATE - Took a trip to HR Owen in Chelsea yesterday for diagnosis of the clutch/transmission noise. Drove round the block with their head mechanic and after about 50 yards he noticed the noise and started to think up a possible diagnosis.

Apparently, there was a bracket on the exhaust system rubbing against something in the transmission. They have adjusted the bracket and the noise isn't so bad. They continue to test...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE - Took a trip to HR Owen in Chelsea yesterday for diagnosis of the clutch/transmission noise. Drove round the block with their head mechanic and after about 50 yards he noticed the noise and started to think up a possible diagnosis.

They've had the car for a day now and the good news is they claim to have fixed the noise. Proof will be in the pud, and I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it sounds like good news.

Apparently, there was a bracket on the exhaust system rubbing against something in the transmission. They have adjusted the bracket and the noise has gone - allegedly :)

I will confirm when I take her home tonight...
This sounds like good news it will be interesting to see if it has been fixed.

I went for a test drive with a tech from Portsmouth but the noise was not as obvious after the 45 minute drive to the garage, but he will have another test drive from cold when it is in for the wind noise and squeaky seat next week.

Was the noise you heard louder when you lifted of the gas and disappeared completely when the clutch was pressed in?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, it's most noticable when you have accelerated hard then ease off the gas to the point of "slight" engine braking in 3rd or 2nd at 3k revs. Accelerating again, the noise continues. When you depress the clutch the noise stops. Coasting in neutral, clutch pedal up, there is no noise.

I'd describe it as a cross between a grumble and a scuffing noise, about 4 times a second at about 30mpg.

I may have spoken too soon, but the mechanics seem pretty diligent and determined to fix it - still awaiting confirmation that I can pick the car up!

Interesting that the noise is present on the same engined Brera, and the S. Is yours MY08?

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
They've had the car for a day now and the good news is they claim to have fixed the noise. Proof will be in the pud, and I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it sounds like good news.
Apparently, there was a bracket on the exhaust system rubbing against something in the transmission. They have adjusted the bracket and the noise has gone - allegedly :)
I will confirm when I take her home tonight...
If they say something it's normally the truth... one of the better AR dealers and not into BS IMO/experience !! ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good point, well made! :cool: Wasn't thinking...

HRO now reckon it's a dodgy bearing on the RHS drive-shaft, where it meets the differential/transmission. Solution - whole new driveshaft apparently (the bearing is apparently part of the assembly) :eek:

They're still doin' a damn good job. Apparently it should be fitted tomorrow, so I will update as and when. Fingers crossed! Hoping it's not going to be something more fundamental being out of kilter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hopefully this will be my last post on this thread...

FIXED !!! :) :) :)

The replacement of part of the RHS driveshaft (including a mid-shaft bearing I think) has been successful in fixing the noise. It's gone!

Apparently the old bearing was very 'rough' - so was likely to be the main cause of the noise. Why the bearing should wear that severely after 3k miles I don't know - must have been dodgy from manufacture.

Praise goes to HR Owen in Chelsea. Dan in servicing and Richard, one of the principal engineers, have both been very thorough in diagnosing and solving the problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully this will be my last post on this thread...

FIXED !!! :) :) :)

The replacement of part of the RHS driveshaft (including a mid-shaft bearing I think) has been successful in fixing the noise. It's gone!

Apparently the old bearing was very 'rough' - so was likely to be the main cause of the noise. Why the bearing should wear that severely after 3k miles I don't know - must have been dodgy from manufacture.

Praise goes to HR Owen in Chelsea. Dan in servicing and Richard, one of the principal engineers, have both been very thorough in diagnosing and solving the problem.

:) :) Excellent news, mine is booked in next week for the same problem so I will give them these details and get them to contact HR Owen.

R

·
0 Posts
GRM001 I've got exactly the same noises. I've read your other thread and I was hoping I might be suffering from the intermediate bearing on the rhs shaft. So I undid the retainer and spun the wheel and it appears to be ok there's a small amount of play in the CV joints but nothing huge. My local mechanic says it can't be the clutch but the car has done 84000 miles any ideas anyone?
I think I've had two occaissions where it seemed difficult to change gear but I was preoccupied with the noise and it still seems to drive fine other than the noise??:cry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts